Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Ikarus wrote:
> Might have been better broadcasting this relocation earlier , may be immediately post the 2021 rally. For those visiting by road and assuming Sywell , doesn't
>really help if accommodation for that venue pre booked , and a hike for those travelling by road from the North. At least logistically Sywell was in some respects a
>central location for those "up north"........ :(

They had already announced that it would not be at Sywell this year, so there's a good amount of time to cancel and change bookings. I'm sure that last September Sywell was still on for this year.
It was a fairly simple matter flying down to Sywell - you could quite safely get there from the far north, non radio and without a transponder. I guess it would be a different story getting that bit further to Popham.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:
> It was a fairly simple matter flying down to Sywell - you could quite
> safely get there from the far north, non radio and without a transponder. I
> guess it would be a different story getting that bit further to Popham.

Not really. Go past Silverstone, stay to the east of Oxford, west of Benson and then it's straight to Popham.
By TopCat
Popham's been one of my favourite airfields for a long time. However, although I'd really, really like to be wrong, my immediate reaction was that it's a completely inappropriate place for the Rally - at least in any form similar to what it's been.

At a stroke it rules out types that need a hard runway. It also rules out some of the bigger types for which Sywell's (and before that Cranfield's) hard runway was ample.

If they're on 26, it will put off a lot of newer pilots that might not be confident with the dog-leg approach.

But there's a lot of scope for accidents - conversely, it will fail to put off some that think it's easy but don't have the skill to land short enough to stop before the end without melting the brakes.

If they're on 21, landing uphill, it would probably be ideal (08 would be perfect too), but if they're on 03, with the wood in the undershoot, and the downhill, well, let me know in advance, and I'll get there early for a ring side seat to watch the chaos. Maybe put some big soft cushions down the end to save the hedge.... Personally I hate flying anything but the tightest of tight circuits on 03, because of the wood, and on 21, I like to be able to turn right and fly up 26 rather than climb out over the wood. I bet those options won't be available.

Let's also hope the airfield management have got on the right side of the locals well in advance so that the inevitably huge number of aircraft barrelling over the usually noise sensitive areas won't **** so many people off that local politics becomes a complete disaster that aggravates the existing doubt over the airfield's long term future.

Then there's all the CAS nearby. That'll take up 35 pages of the 60 page AIC on its own... and if there's the usual RA(T), it will pretty much fence off getting anywhere in the South East on the west side of London for anyone that isn't going to the Rally.

And then where are you going to put everyone? There needs to be space for camping next to the aircraft, and there needs to be decent airside security. At Sywell all the bars, showers, exhibition tents and the like were all on the opposite side of the main runway from the aircraft parking, which created a natural separation. But there's no 'other side' at Popham.

If it's first come, first served, for a much reduced number of arrival slots, that, as well as the grass-only runways will drastically reduce the number and variety of interesting aeroplanes to watch flying, and admire when parked.

For me, the Rally is about arriving in virtual radio silence, putting up a tent, enjoying a boozy picnic with friends in the quietness (good luck with the A303 just off the airfield) of a warm airfield evening, and watching loads and loads of interesting aeroplanes. If it ends up being much smaller, and/or like the microlight rally, it's probably not for me.

I know - I'm being very negative, but I'm just not feeling it yet. Happy to be persuaded otherwise and eat my words, but right now, I'm thanking the aviation gods that I don't have to organise it.

I expect there are workarounds for many of the potential snags that I can see, but it's going to be a **** load of work to get it right.

Genuinely, I wish the organisers all the luck in the world, because I think the event itself, in an appropriate location, is brilliant, and I've loved it on the occasions I've gone.
By Peter Gristwood
I've usually flown in using 03. I hope there'll be a single circuit otherwise there's likely to be a lot of frustration if microlights use the tighter circuit and cut in in front of those using the larger one.

Mind you, there's a fighting chance the big tree might be a little shorter.... :wink:
By TopCat
Peter Gristwood wrote:
> I've usually flown in using 03. I hope there'll be a single circuit
> otherwise there's likely to be a lot of frustration if microlights use the
> tighter circuit and cut in in front of those using the larger one.
>
> Mind you, there's a fighting chance the big tree might be a little
> shorter.... :wink:

At the end of the event, if not the beginning. :wink:
Peter Gristwood liked this
Have I missed something? What's the reason for not using Sywell this year? Why not Turweston?
This year would have been the first time I would fly in to Sywell. I won't be going anywhere near Popham on this weekend though.
It's also the same long weekend of the Bournemouth Air Show, not so far away....
By ChampChump
Love Popham and I think it's a great idea. Admittedly, my next thought was 'well, that's air-ground, too, as is Sywell now. What will be different?'

I suggest those needing a hard runway go to Farnborough :wink:

More seriously, would Lasham possibly entertain a few VariEze or whatevers?
By Cub
Peter Gristwood wrote:
> My guess is the using the term 'grassroots flyin' indicates it is a
> no-frills event and one where they are not looking for thousands to attend.
>
> Otherwise the CAA might demand a higher level of control.
>
> So, Shhhh. Nothing's happening at P****m on the nth of S*******r

As a general guide, if an event is likely to generate more than 100 movements per day, proposals should be discussed with the appropriate Principal Inspector (ATM).

I am sure those discussions will already have been initiated as to how this type of event can be safely accommodated at Popham.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this