Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
This is good news for Popham and its multiple runways to give flexibility to the wind directions. Hopefully they will be able to have two active runways on the day like they sometimes do for other events.

Popham is used to mixing it up with traffic of differing performance, with multiple runways, including the slow auto gyros on final to the faster Yaks and Pitts.
As per other LAA rallys, if a pilot is not comfortable with being in a traffic pattern with N aircraft of differing performance (also like the Microlight Trade Fair with microlights mixing it with GA) then perhaps it is not the event for them , or go with an instructor.

Pilots must follow the procedures that eventually get published. If cannot, then dont go. There should be plenty of pilots and aircraft capable of attending if the weather is kind.
StratoTramp liked this
Rob L wrote:
> The LAA and its members need to buy Syerston :!:

Is it for sale?

If the LAA did create a scheme where its members bought an airfield (or two), it would provide the rally with a permanent home and the revenue could help fund the airfields ongoing operational costs.

Somewhere like Syerston could even offer to host the Fighter Meet.
StratoTramp liked this
By graham.horder
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I wonder whether Thruxton was considered. It has parallel hard and grass runways, loads of room for aircraft parking, hard standing for trade areas and car parks galore. They are also used to hosting large motor racing events with public car parking, marshaling etc.
By Nick
CloudHound wrote:
> None. The Popham Team with some help ran the Rally at Sywell last year so
> proved an Air Ground service can safety manage fly in traffic.

The Air Ground service at the LAA Rally last year was slick and I thought worked better than the AFIS ever did before. All it needs is for pilots to read the instructions and fly responsibly.

Nick
By MichaelP
My thought was that Blackbushe could be used for higher performance aircraft, with a shuttle between the two places, but I think Farnborough would spoil that idea.
Perhaps Thruxton as a spill over?
Local enough.
By PeteSpencer
Popham , along with Leicester are the two UK airfields where I have nearly met my maker more than once, due to sh ite circuit discipline .

On both occasions having been carved up while on short final by smaller a/c - in the case of Popham , a constant stream of microlights , obliging me to go around three times .

I kid you not :roll:
Even the guy doing the radio/taking my landing fee apologised……..
kanga, lurker1 liked this