Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pontoise is the option I use (coming in from Guernsey so no option to take the train). I clear customs at Caen and then fly to Pontoise. A taxi to Cergy Pontoise RER station takes around 15 mins and the RERs to central Paris run every 10-15 mins and take 45 mins.

Handling and Hangarage are available courtesy of Ameridair should you want looking after while you are there.

Pontoise is available 24/24 with PCL and instrument approaches.
A le Ron liked this
Ibra wrote: you will fly near Eiffel Tower twice

Ironically, the centre of your photo (green area off of Seine) is Paris Issy-les-Moulineaux Heliport (LFPI) which is only €32 to land and leave your helicopter all day; also a short walk from the Metro.

Life doesn't have to be so hard. :D

Ibra liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
St Cyr is my choice but it is grass.
It’s a short walk to the railway station with 15 minutes to Central Paris.
Plus the approach is spectacular! Just get the right greenhouses :roll:
By PeteSpencer
Sir Morley Steven wrote:St Cyr is my choice but it is grass.
It’s a short walk to the railway station with 15 minutes to Central Paris.
Plus the approach is spectacular! Just get the right greenhouses :roll:

Hmm: Never considered St Cyr:
Worth a try next time........
By Ibra
RisePilot wrote:Life doesn't have to be so hard. :D

That was a nice (existential) suggestion :thumleft:

PS: I was stuck in Paris during the lockdown with 20km restriction but I visited the Heliport regularly, it did fall under 2km walk :D
By ROG
After LT or calais have you considered Lognes- great GA airfield. -as I remember good quick access to centre of Paris --not sure of L/F but would guess not too much.
Lots of clubs--found it welcoming there . Worth a look.
By Ibra
As said above Pontoise is an option, it works better if you have business in LaDefense or NW of Paris and it’s hassle free 24/7 with PCL, IFR, fuel and hangar, I visited yesterday but ATC were not around though and they had lot of closures with VTOL testing…

Lognes, I forgot to add, is way more nicer and very welcoming more than Toussus/Pontoise, the RER is 20min walk and east of Paris is max 15min taxi, the routing VFR from UK is ugly but if you can fly IFR on Y-FPL it gets better: ATC will let you cut through Paris, then descend on LeBourget ILS before going missed and cancel on VFR to Lognes straight to their runway (when departing from ILS07 at LeBourget you stay above 500ft DA but not above 700ft amsl max altitude for a long time while swapping frequencies, if you never had a brain fart moment when going missed, that will be a good occasion :lol: )
Last edited by Ibra on Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marioair wrote:whats the routing like/advise for VFR to Pontoise from L2K, any gotchas?
what about IMC - the routes that validate take you all the way round Paris!

From LeTouquet to Pontoise: very easy, you will depart toward ABB/DPE with Lille to join STAR at VELOL or direct MOPAR

On the way back, if ATC are not around you can ask CDG DEP by phone for “IFR startup” (0033148629590), they give transponder code and they will ask you to join OPALE SID to LeTouquet which is pretty much a direct

Iceman wrote:Presumably, Lognes doesn’t have customs though ?

Nope sadly…
Iceman liked this
marioair wrote:what about IMC

I am not sure what you mean by IMC? clouds are the same in Paris as London, you have passed few MET exam, so you know how they look like :lol:

If you are referring to aerodromes minima, then don’t go to StCyr & Lognes in IMC it’s illegal, it’s VFR only with proper VFR ATC with legally binding runway weather minima, they also require personalised weather briefing by phone if you intend to operate on Z/Y-FPL over there (see page 20 of French GEN3.5 for phone numbers)

All other airports are IFR, you can file I-FPL for the majority of airports in France (except those in page 20 of GEN3.5, Courcheval & Lognes, StCyr basically), in Golf, you can depart/land if you are happy with weather as long as you maintain 1.5km visibility then you can change flight rules as you wish in Golf but be careful to stay out of Echo airspace it’s everywhere above FL65 and not shown on the map (you need clearance to swap VFR to IFR in Echo), you also need radio contact with FIS and active flight plan for IFR above 3kft, obviously if you intend to fly in airspace you need both slot and clearance “to join”, voila !

At Pontoise you can depart with 400m without ATS (it’s written in your Jepps/AIP for takeoff minima without ATS) just get your startup IFR clearance by phone, if you are landing IFR without ATS in the tower, you need to give landing ETA to approach controller and raise your minima as you are supposed to fly visual circuit following the instrument procedures without ATC/AFIS, then call ATC to close your IFR flight plan after you have landed
marioair liked this
Very useful thread, thanks - I am planning a similar trip this Friday.

Unfortunately, Lognes is just a bit short for my liking (I've been there and it's great in all other respects). So it seems LFAT - Toussus IFR is a fair choice, although Lille + TGV is very tempting.

Are there any tips / contact for parking, etc. at Toussous? I can't see anything about mandatory handling. I will call the administration number but would be grateful for any recent experience.
By Ibra
Just land, ask ground ATC to park in front of the tower in spot 24 (or 20-25) you won't bother anyone, if you ever park in spots 40-43 you will get to learn about Mme Chantelle (who handles 2T-12T), that's not a fashion brand name :lol:

The terminal exit is near parking spot 43, you get a card that you keep when you come back, there is a notice board on how to pay for landing & parking (they only work on weekdays)

PS: watch for closing times and noise restrictions, plus VFR circuit has lot of shape & speed restrictions, it's tough if you never been there but on IFR it is way more relaxed (other than tailwind as runway is set by Orly windsock and don't do any circle or circuit), you go for straight-in IFR landing in Toussus without ATC if no traffic is on frequency :thumleft:
highfive liked this