Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AlanM
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I wouldn't like to be one of the workmen, not knowing if an aircraft on approach is doing instrument training or just hasn't read the NOTAM.

Yep. I agree.

Additionally CAP493 talks of this;

22. Low Approach Restrictions
22.1 If the runway in use is occupied by aircraft or vehicles, an approaching aircraft that has requested a low approach or a touch and go, may be cleared to carry out a low approach restricted to a height not below 400 ft above the threshold elevation. In such circumstances, the pilot is to be informed of the aircraft or vehicles on the runway. Additionally, the aircraft or vehicle on the runway is to be informed of the aircraft carrying out the low approach.

22.2 For aircraft operating on the aerodrome QNH, the low approach altitude restriction is to be based on 400 ft plus threshold elevation, rounded up to the nearest 50ft.

22.3 The runway in use shall be kept clear of aircraft and vehicles if an approaching aircraft is likely to descend below 400 ft above the threshold elevation

(This is of course regarding a runway in use)

My bold of course - because I have had WIP on an airfield in a defined area (including a runway not in use) and there had been no contact with those workers.

It would be good to hear from a Glosssstah resident to see what the Aerodrome Authority is allowing.
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ibra wrote:
Rjk983 wrote:If you were to carry out a GPS approach and the engine stopped what would you do?

I doubt anyone who fly instrument approaches on single engine would ever consider the power off glide to the runway when looking 1nm ahead from 250ft DH…..

I equally doubt any sensible PIC would consider making an approach towards a runway that is known to be closed and occupied by construction traffic.

But I’ll bow out as the NOTAM posted above is very clear.
AlanM, Ibra liked this
By matspart3
From memory, the circling minima for the 27 approaches was about 800ft QNH, sectorised to the north, and probably 1000ft for the whole area, so there’s nothing to prevent you flying the NDB/ DME or RNP approach to the MDA(H) and circling for 22.

I seem to recall that didn’t ‘tick the box’ for an EXAM flight, so there’s probably limited value in using it for IR training. The 5.7 tonne restriction and modest LDA on 04/22 effectively makes the place unusable by anything fixed wing Public Transport or jets for the next few months.

Utterly bizarre that they’d plan this for a) when the normal operating hours coincide with darkness and, b) Cheltenham Festival. :roll:

Edited to say that the ILS is (presumably) unavailable because they’ll have plant and vehicles operating in the vicinity of the localiser and glidepath antennae, which have sensitive areas.
AlanM, Ibra liked this
By kanga
The JAM car park is now being used in earnest for the 09/27 works trucks. It will be interesting to see how well the parking areas have been cleaned up (as promised) in time for the Sat/Sun opening...

[on NOTAMINFO I do not see any specific NOTAM that Taxiway R is 'unavailable due WIP', but I would not recommend its use; besides, with 09/27 closed it's inaccessible from airside :wink: ]
By Kemble Pitts
Flyingfemme wrote:Just a quick heads-up for anyone who might be considering visiting over the next few months. The "Main runway" (09/27 to most of us) is now closed for resurfacing until further notice - probably several months. The "Crosswind runway" (04/22) is available again, with most of a spiffy new surface (don't go near the edges, they aren't complete yet) and 18/36 is closed as well. Suggestions have been made by the inmates that the part of 18/36 south of 09/27 could still be usable but don't expect any swift decisions.
Anything over 12,500lbs (5.7Mt) is not able to use the airport and the ILS is switched off while the Main runway is closed but they haven't figured out how to shut down the GPS approaches!

It'll be interesting to see how long this takes. In the last six(?) months or so the main part (i.e. the full width and about 1200m I'd guess) of the runway at Kemble was resurfaced in a working week. That's a bigger surface area than 09/27.
Obviously I don't know the extent of the work being done at Staverton, but an interesting comparison.

Perhaps MATS Part 3 knows how the two sets of works (Kemble/Staverton) compare?
By G-JWTP
To be fair an awful lot of people were doing approaches to LGW, not below 500' , during the first covid release period, circa June 2020.

It seemed a bit of a giggle, and a chance, not to be repeated, then.

G- JWTP
By DavidC
I flew an ILS on Monday just before it was switched off and an RNP 27 break off to 22 on Wednesday both in a local club PA28 aircraft with students. The cloudbase was around 1000ft so fairly easy to circle to land.

Later we had to orbit in the circuit while a PC12 performed a similar manoeuvre.

The airport sent a note out on Monday stating that (prebooked) instrument training slots are limited to home based aircraft and examination flights only. I expect this will increase pressure on nearby alternatives.

It also mentioned that Taxiway Romeo (to JAM) is closed - sorry Kanga.

In the South of England we urgently need more options for instrument approach training, especially more RNP available to GA.
By Ibra
G-JWTP wrote:To be fair an awful lot of people were doing approaches to LGW, not below 500' , during the first covid release period, circa June 2020.

I think "not bellow 500ft" was hint by their friendly ATC to ensure that Signature agents on the ramp do not see your aircraft reg :lol:
AlanM, kanga liked this
By AlanM
Surely this WIP is to make the airport better? The ‘mess’ is expected on any large project on an airfield that is remaining operational. It sounds like the project team and all involved are doing all that they can to keep things moving safely.
Kemble Pitts, Milty liked this
By DavidC
Surely this WIP is to make the airport better? The ‘mess’ is expected on any large project on an airfield that is remaining operational. It sounds like the project team and all involved are doing all that they can to keep things moving safely.

Absolutely. The main runway doesn't seem to have had any major rework done on it for decades and was falling apart, so this is quite a major project. Communication with airfield users has generally been good, operations have continued more or less without major closures (except for those over 5,700kg), and the works do seem to be actively proceeding every day.

Here's a quick picture taken today while taxiing across runway 27 to the hold for 22. Unlike the earlier video, it's hard to see how anyone could land on the main runway without seeing the brightly coloured barriers and equipment.

AlanM, kanga, Ibra and 2 others liked this
By Milty
A note on why it might be taking as long as it is. I understand that it's not just a simple resurfacing but also flattening out the undulations that are present along it. Of course, I say simple resurfacing with the utmost respect to the guys doing it. I can't even lay a tablecloth straight so full respect to the chaps working away with eejits in airplanes moving all around them.
AlanM, kanga, Cowshed liked this