Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyingfemme
Just a quick heads-up for anyone who might be considering visiting over the next few months. The "Main runway" (09/27 to most of us) is now closed for resurfacing until further notice - probably several months. The "Crosswind runway" (04/22) is available again, with most of a spiffy new surface (don't go near the edges, they aren't complete yet) and 18/36 is closed as well. Suggestions have been made by the inmates that the part of 18/36 south of 09/27 could still be usable but don't expect any swift decisions.
Anything over 12,500lbs (5.7Mt) is not able to use the airport and the ILS is switched off while the Main runway is closed but they haven't figured out how to shut down the GPS approaches!
By xtophe
Flyingfemme wrote:The ILS is switched off while the Main runway is closed but they haven't figured out how to shut down the GPS approaches!

Does that mean no practice instrument approach at all or only GPS or NDB/DME approaches ?
By Flyingfemme
In theory they are available. In practice it might be pretty congested with construction getting in the way of taxi routes and helis operating. But they have put in some temporary lights to see us through the next few weeks of early dusk (04/22 was not lit).
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
xtophe wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:The ILS is switched off while the Main runway is closed but they haven't figured out how to shut down the GPS approaches!

Does that mean no practice instrument approach at all or only GPS or NDB/DME approaches ?

If you were to carry out a GPS approach and the engine stopped what would you do? The runway would not be a safe option, nor the grass around it as the works to install new AGL a will no doubt have created a rabbits Warren of holes and trenches ready to trap you.

Would it not be safer to carry out practice approaches at an active/open airfield?
AlanM liked this
By Ibra
Rjk983 wrote:If you were to carry out a GPS approach and the engine stopped what would you do?

I doubt anyone who fly instrument approaches on single engine would ever consider the power off glide to the runway when looking 1nm ahead from 250ft DH…..you need +30% power to stay on ILS/GPS even when flying at best glide in nil wind, maybe +50% power in strong wind?

The only time when you stay above the glide path with idle power is -30kts tailwind on ILS before doing a circle to land to non-ILS, also the same if the engine quits you turn into 30kts wind, it’s no brainer

There are plenty of options to landout once you cleared the village & the hill, Glocs runway is not one of them
By AlanM
I can’t inagine that you will be allowed to go down to MDA to a known closed/occupied runway.

You would be given “cleared low approach not below 400ft”.
By Ibra
Fair point, it will be whatever minima for circling or low pass if one is not landing straigh-in

But the only time you would consider making the runway on engine failure is above it when going missed or on low pass...at 400ft on the glide, I have 1.3nm to go: the runway is not even visible yet :D
By AlanM
Ibra wrote:But the only time you would consider making the runway on engine failure is above it when going missed or on low pass.

Quite a risk for an Aerodrome Operator! I will be interested to see if any approaches to a runway with ongoing WIP are actually allowed. Personally, I would be surprised if they were permitted - esp given the NOTAM. There are loads of famous incidents of runway WIP whoopsies.
Ibra liked this
By Ibra
I was talking in general on approach with single where you would consider the runway as option

I expect you can always approach “an unserviceable runway down to circling minima”

PS: I would be worried if I am doing WIP work on a runway with someone on final....
Last edited by Ibra on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AlanM
Ibra wrote:I expect you can always approach “an unserviceable runway down to circling minima”

It is definitely possible in FAA land.
Ibra liked this