Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jodelman
I have just received an email from Pilotaware advising an increase in the licence fee by 100% per annum.

Am I understanding this correctly?? Is this reasonable?
Last edited by Jodelman on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Interesting how opinion of what is reasonable can be skewed by percentages.

£24+vat per year is not a lot of money for those that commit aviation and scared to death with the GA low traffic density displayed on flight trackers in UK class G airspace.
Use of this device is still voluntary so could terminate use of the service if think the cost is too much.

:wink: :wink: (hope that is enough winks)
rdfb, Smaragd liked this
By lobstaboy
It's not a lot of money for what it does.
Assuming they need to increase income/turnover (they imply to carry on innovating) then this is the only thing they can do since they aren't going to sell as many new units now - pretty much everyone who wants one has got one.
Smaragd, PA28, TrickyWoo liked this
By TLRippon
Neither is the government’s attempt to frame a 10% rise in national insurance as 1.25 percentage points.
If it is good enough for our country’s leaders I’m sure it’s good enough for Pilot Aware.
Frankly I can’t believe it’s been so cheap for so long. I have two Pilot Aware Rosettas and I’m more than happy to pay for the development of this fantastic system. It’s still cheaper than a Flarm sub for Sky Echo.
Rob P liked this
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
stevewarbs wrote:I don't mind the increase but I did object to the way it was phrased as a "modest" £1 per month.

A 100% increase isn't modest.

Over 6 years, don't forget. And just look at all the added features over those 6 years.

A change in title to this thread would be much appreciated.
Rob P, T67M liked this
By RisePilot
Change the name of this thread.

I've become tired of posters naming a thread title with an individual's or company's name with a misleading depiction. All this does is show many search hits linking the word "scam" with the individual or company.

It's not clever; you look moronic in doing this.
Rob P, T67M, Jonzarno and 6 others liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
I nearly expressed the cost in terms of how many minutes of flight it would be in a flying school C152 but decided not to as the Rotax drivers would say that is not representative of their flying costs.

Alternatively divide the cost with the number of personal flights per year and it is not much per flight for many flyers.

If that is still too much, there is the insurance style perspective of average cost per day for the year.
approx 7.8p/day.

After 60 days that gets me a pint of premium lager in my local pub.
:cheers:
StratoTramp, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
I'm bewildered that this is even being discussed. It's possibly even sillier than the "rip-off egg on toast" thread.

Rob P
Nick, TonyC liked this
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If it is of great concern then one can always download the Stratux Europe ADSB receiver onto the data card in the Raspberry Pi and use it for free.

It has various options including Flarm reception, PAW reception as well as ADSB reception and weather data from the trial or future weather/notam broadcasts.
Grelly liked this
By Chris-tt
I’ve got both PilotAware and SkyEcho. While I doubt anyone who already has PilotAware is going to worry about £30 a year, it could be a deciding factor for people who are trying to choose between the two.