Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingearly
A very interesting and unusual AAIB report published today:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _03-22.pdf

My favourite bit is:

"Whilst conducting a pre-departure DVI, an insect was spotted in the commander’s pitot
probe. The probe was sealed and removed by the engineers who then captured and secured
the live insect (Figure 6). The insect was handed over to the AAIB and then transferred to
the Natural History Museum (NHM) to try and identify the species"

....accompanied by a photo of what looks like a wasp, which - if it isn't a wasp - I'm sure could be correctly identified without needing to call in an expert from the Natural History Museum.

We always check the pitot anyhow, but interesting that this problem appears worse when parked near to hedgerows.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Suspect there may be thought to be some value in knowing precisely which species, in the event that there are (e.g.) some behavioural aspects that could be described and hence targeted to mitigate against the problem occurring so often in the future.

That'll be why you likely want the best source possible, rather than Hi-Viz Bloggs on the apron who takes a quick squint and then tells you "That's yer wasp, is that" ;)
By PeteSpencer
'Ey oop lad. tha's gorra fookin' wasp in thy pee toe toob, weell, ah think it's a fookin' wasp.............

'I'll jes' gerrit out fa thee.'

'Ow, sh it, the little bleeder's jes stung me'

*Stamp*

'Nah we'll never know....................' :wink:
By rikur_
Heathrow Airport is located on the western edge of London. It is one of the world’s busiest
international airports and is the UK’s only major hub airport. It has two runways and five
terminals

Isn't that four terminals? or are they counting zero?
By ChrisGazzard
I remember a similar situation involving a bumble bee in a Cessna Citation Mustang pitot tube some years back. The pilot identified it on the walk around, and called it into ops, we called engineering. We were told the only solution (after checking the pitot was most definitely switched off and cool) was to suck it out. Message relayed to crew, who were told they could do it themselves, or wait for an engineer to fly out to them to do the same. 10 minutes later a call back saying the bee was dislodged but sadly no longer with us!