Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By xtophe
Constructive comments (hopefully ;) ):
Less acronyms (PD ?, RTC, DASOR)
flyontrack.co.uk no longer exist. It is https://airspacesafety.com/ now
Some of the radar pictures show their age with Lyneham CTR/CTA shown.

Maybe less constructive:
As the absence of transponder and the lack of mode S radar at BZN is a problem, any update on deployment of project Marshall at BZN? Still no ADS-B in ?
By xtophe
xtophe wrote:As the absence of transponder and the lack of mode S radar at BZN is a problem, any update on deployment of project Marshall at BZN? Still no ADS-B in ?

I now had a chance to listen to the Q&A with more useful bits and answer to my question. (No quite yet in case someone else wonder)
By NDB_hold
mcdonaldn507 wrote:Thanks for the constructive words.

Practise diversion.
Radar training circuit.

It’s not that he didn’t understand them, but that most GA pilots wouldn’t. I only learned PD from speaking to Brize ATC on the phone about what I would have called a ‘training approach’.
By B1engineer
I cant praise the controllers at Brize enough.
Always extremely helpful and obliging. Helped me a couple of times in declining weather conditions.
Never been refused a transit either.
Keep up the great work!

B1
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hopefully their radio gear has been upgraded now:

Last time I spoke to Brize their R/T was so muffled and unclear and the lady controller was getting so exasperated with my repeated 'say agains' that I began to doubt my a/c radio equipment.

Until my frequency change to Gloucester came through ringing loud and crystal clear..... :wink:

@mcdonaldn507 Good presentation BTW :thumleft:
Loco parentis liked this
By mcdonaldn507
xtophe wrote:Constructive comments (hopefully ;) ):
Less acronyms (PD ?, RTC, DASOR)
flyontrack.co.uk no longer exist. It is https://airspacesafety.com/ now
Some of the radar pictures show their age with Lyneham CTR/CTA shown.

Maybe less constructive:
As the absence of transponder and the lack of mode S radar at BZN is a problem, any update on deployment of project Marshall at BZN? Still no ADS-B in ?

We are training on Marshall equipment currently. It will not have ADS-B.
By xtophe
mcdonaldn507 wrote:It will not have ADS-B.

Very sad to hear.
So the brass is all for proposing more controlled airspace but can't be asked to tick the ADS-B in option when ordering a new system.
ls8pilot liked this
By mcdonaldn507
B1engineer wrote:I cant praise the controllers at Brize enough.
Always extremely helpful and obliging. Helped me a couple of times in declining weather conditions.
Never been refused a transit either.
Keep up the great work!

B1

Thanks appreciate that
B1engineer liked this
By mcdonaldn507
xtophe wrote:

Very sad to hear.
So the brass is all for proposing more controlled airspace but can't be asked to tick the ADS-B in option when ordering a new system.

I believe it wasn’t as simple as ticking a box for ADS-B.

It never is that simple.

Happy to host you at Brize when we are able or coming to your flying club (if you are at one) to discuss.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ll echo what a couple of others have said.

Being on the southern edge of Brize, I speak with them a lot, and have done for years. They have always (without fail) been helpful, slick, and flexible.

They set the standard, and several others have got a long way to go to get anywhere close.
B1engineer, Kittyhawk liked this
By Skylaunch2
mcdonaldn507 wrote:
xtophe wrote:

Very sad to hear.

I believe it wasn’t as simple as ticking a box for ADS-B.

It never is that simple.

Happy to host you at Brize when we are able or coming to your flying club (if you are at one) to discuss.

I hope GliderNet is also incorporated. Brize has really been lacking behind other RAF Units in putting in this small but useful mitigation.
By User72
I've had to route around on more than one occasion - often sounded like an inexperienced controller, at least I will know now what to offer to help get a clearance!