Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On pre notified night flying exercises at Lakenheath all week.

With this low cloud/fog all day they're very welcome to it :shock:

I guess quite a few pairs of eyes in Suffolk will be gazing anxiously skywards this week................. :wink:
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:I remember being awoken by The cousins one night in the 1980s, just south of Cambridge.
It was F111s coming home from Libya. All over the news later…

Yep the same lot kept us awake too:

Ironically a few months before that we had been crawling all over the F111 flightline as their guests with a local E Anglian O & G
Medical Society meeting to which the LKH Medical facility were members...............
Jim Jones wrote:I remember being awoken by The cousins one night in the 1980s, just south of Cambridge.

I watched them go earlier in the evening. Sawston. Thought they were practicing...

It was 1986.
I had been at Easter ATC camp for 10 days at Akrotiri; every morning at about 7 am local time, a certain black painted aircraft would noisily depart and head off to the south west
The incoming group of cadets arrived as we left.
24 hours later, a Hercules arrived and they were told they had to return home immediately that afternoon as there was nothing for them to see or do.
The F111s went in early next morning; some returning to Upper Heyford and some to Lakenheath.
They were off early this morning, normally never before 8am for local sensibilities.

Rob P