Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
A 'poor' car and 'acceptable' flying machine could still meet user needs.
If you're trying to replace your singular vehicle with one of these then it's not gonna work.
However if you use it in a serious A-B format, it can live at home, drive to the strip, fly the bulk of the distance and save taxi requirements when you land.
For that format flying capabilities
are more important.
Obviously these are not likely to be something the average private pilot will rush to get hold of. I can't imagine them providing the same fulfilment GA gives many of us, but the concept has merit.
Generally my flying is now travel and detination oriented, so I'd be interested one day.
Not sure how I would feel gerting airborne in something that has been parked in the public domain for a period of time though. Be it a Cessna or flying car, my preflight would take quite a bit longer.
Car based aircraft seem to me to be an idea left over from the 80’s. While they say the global market will be worth tens of billions by 2040, I can’t help but think that they will be more drone based that this ugly thing.

The Jetson One looks far cooler, can be flown from anywhere and it’s also cheaper with prices starting from $80k.

Duncan36 wrote:Car based aircraft seem to me to be an idea left over from the 80’s.

A vehicle you can fly quickly to your exact destination is the perfect medium to long distance travel solution and flying cars (i.e land close by and drive rest if the way) are a close compromise in theory.

However the reality seems rather different and I can't see anything, especially at a reasonable price point, in my lifetime.
VRB_20kt wrote:The Jetson looks fantastic though the manufacturer doesn’t know the legal status of flying one in the UK despite there being a couple of UK customers signed up.

I noticed that there were a few UK people signed up as well. As these things start to ‘take off’ I guess the CAA will have to start looking at training and licensing?
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
VRB_20kt wrote:The Jetson looks fantastic though the manufacturer doesn’t know the legal status of flying one in the UK despite there being a couple of UK customers signed up.

The designer/manufacturer says they were trying to remind people of the whole "star wars speeder in the forest" movie clips. And 4x open props/rotors lifting you only a few feet off of the ground "at up to 40-50mph" isnt what I consider to be a particularly safe or practical mission profile - no different to Ekranoplanes really... :wink:
tangentially, I noted the story referenced on the front page of today's FT:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpspr ... t31jan.jpg

'Funding surge brings flying taxis closer to reality'
[actual story behind the FT paywall]

I'd expect the FT to be less likely than some tabloids (and even some other broadsheets) to present an unrealistic assessment, if only because their correspondent would 'follow the real money' (rather than the investor-alluring hype) :wink:
Last edited by kanga on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.