Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Given this particular aircraft is clearly fixed wing, and will need a runway, or something that can serve as a runway, I'd have thought that the definition of "taking off or landing in accordance with normal aviation practice" won't need much , if any, revision.

That problem remains in the future for VTOL vehicles.

In my opinion!

G
neilld wrote:See here :-https://www.theengineer.co.uk/aircar-certificate-of-airworthiness-klein-vision/

"take-off and landing procedures were achieved without the pilot’s need to touch the flight controls" - well that's something.

Does the road version comply with construction and use regulations for road use? I notice it's not as powerful as it looks with it's 1.6 litre road engine.

Why am I not yet impressed?
By patowalker
"The Certificate of Airworthiness is an official certificate issued in compliance with all EASA regulations for its member states," the company's cofounder, Anton Zajac, told us. "Each member state appoints local authority to issue certificates valid across the member countries. Hence, Aircar could fly into the UK and we do have plans to fly to London from Paris in near future.

"It is CoA in experimental category. We are, however, going to apply for EASA CS-23; The entire research and development has been done to comply with EASA standards. CS-23 will require production of three units, since they will be destroyed in the certification process – hence, CS-23 is order of magnitude more costly."
The AirCar prototype is currently powered by a 140-hp 1.6-liter BMW engine, but Klein Vision is testing an Adept Airmotive engine that will enable it to go over 300 km/h and have a range of 1,000 km

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/klein-vis ... authority/
By Genghis the Engineer
patowalker wrote:
"The Certificate of Airworthiness is an official certificate issued in compliance with all EASA regulations for its member states," the company's cofounder, Anton Zajac, told us. "Each member state appoints local authority to issue certificates valid across the member countries. Hence, Aircar could fly into the UK and we do have plans to fly to London from Paris in near future.

"It is CoA in experimental category. We are, however, going to apply for EASA CS-23; The entire research and development has been done to comply with EASA standards. CS-23 will require production of three units, since they will be destroyed in the certification process – hence, CS-23 is order of magnitude more costly."
The AirCar prototype is currently powered by a 140-hp 1.6-liter BMW engine, but Klein Vision is testing an Adept Airmotive engine that will enable it to go over 300 km/h and have a range of 1,000 km

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/klein-vis ... authority/

That definitely lost quite a lot in translation.

"CofA in experimental category" is an oxymoron, but a Permit to Fly is a pretty good approximation.

EASA require them to build and destroy three units? Well it's a reasonably common way to do things, but EASA don't mandate that sort of level of detail.

CS.23 is in fact the likely standard they'll have to meet to get a real CofA. They'll also need part 21, which is a whole extra layer of cost and effort.

And it's pretty much a given that you have a choice of a good aeroplane and poor car, or poor aeroplane and good car (I suppose you could manage poor aeroplane and poor car!). This seems to have prioritised the aeroplane over the car, fair enough.

Me? I'm genuinely impressed at what this development team have achieved, rather less so at the truth-economy in some press releases and copy writing.

G