Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Probably not a real increase in headcount. Francis Donaldson is retiring, and presumably one of his very capable senior colleagues (there are four engineers there I'd judge capable of stepping into Francis' shoes, although the two most obvious would be Jon or Ben) will be stepping into the Chief Engineer's role, creating a vacancy behind them.

It would be a great job for an aeronautical engineer looking for an interesting professional life outside of the standard corporate environment of the big primes. I was lucky enough to do something very similar in my 20s and early 30s, and both had an amazing time, and learned bundles that set me up for many equally interesting jobs later, and indeed what I'm doing now.

Best of luck both to candidates, and the LAA in getting the best person into the job.

G
kanga liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
So really a Continued Airworthiness Engineer, as what several people in that office spend most of their time doing is Initial Airworthiness.

Not many people work evenly across the two, as they require somewhat distinct skillsets.

Well pointed out Aerofurb.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Probably not a real increase in headcount. Francis Donaldson is retiring, and presumably one of his very capable senior colleagues (there are four engineers there I'd judge capable of stepping into Francis' shoes, although the two most obvious would be Jon or Ben) will be stepping into the Chief Engineer's role, creating a vacancy behind them.

G

Not quite, Francis is being replaced by an Engineering Director. I think this is the chap https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jdkratcliffe. FD will also remain as a consultant.
By patowalker
Genghis the Engineer wrote: I was lucky enough to do something very similar in my 20s and early 30s, and both had an amazing time, and learned bundles that set me up for many equally interesting jobs later, and indeed what I'm doing now.

We remember it well. :D
By Genghis the Engineer
Ian Melville wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Probably not a real increase in headcount. Francis Donaldson is retiring, and presumably one of his very capable senior colleagues (there are four engineers there I'd judge capable of stepping into Francis' shoes, although the two most obvious would be Jon or Ben) will be stepping into the Chief Engineer's role, creating a vacancy behind them.

G

Not quite, Francis is being replaced by an Engineering Director. I think this is the chap https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jdkratcliffe. FD will also remain as a consultant.

His LinkedIn entry says he's been engineering director since last August - clearly a very low key role!

G
Ian Melville liked this
The situation is that LAA Engineering is one department but with two 'sides' - the design side (initial airworthiness) and the continued airworthiness side - with a certain amount of cross pollination in some aspects.

After taking on two graduate engineers 2.5 years ago, the LAA were effectively over-staffed by one. One of the two Airworthiness Engineers retired last year and was not replaced, so the total staff numbers became as they should.

One of the former-graduate engineers who was on the 'continued airworthiness' side has recently 'defected' ( :wink: ) to the CAA and therefore LAA Engineering is now effectively under-staffed by one. Hence the need for another Airworthiness Engineer.

The Chief Engineer has indeed just 'retired' to become a consultant for LAA Engineering and that role is taken by the form Deputy Chief Engineer under the named role of 'Chief Technical Officer'. The Engineering Director oversees the LAA engineering department as a whole and reports as such, to other members of the LAA Board.
By patowalker
Genghis the Engineer wrote:His LinkedIn entry says he's been engineering director since last August - clearly a very low key role!

He was welcomed to the LAA by the Chairman in the September magazine, and also appeared in Flyer's report on the Rally.