Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Royal Flight BAe 146-100 arrived today as new addition to the British Airliner Collection belonging to DAS at Duxford .

Sadly IWM has placed a limit on number of civvy AC on display so the Herald is being dismantled and sent for display elsewhere :
[/url]
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cub wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Sadly IWM has placed a limit on number of civvy AC on display so the Herald is being dismantled and sent for display elsewhere

Perhaps I am missing something but this airframe is not a civvy?

My non-clarity:
I should have said ‘British airliner’ (in commo with the entire British Airliner Collection) as opposed to US Boeings etc .

Several of the BAC existed in military form ( superVC10 , Britannia) etc.

Don’t want to get involved in nit picking let’s just celebrate the arrival for preservation and display of a British built airframe that flew in significant
numbers in divers civvy Airline liveries all over the place :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Sadly IWM has placed a limit on number of civvy AC on display so the Herald is being dismantled and sent for display elsewhere :

Why they didn't just sent the Trislander to the smelter defeats me.

Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote:What are the (tube) things towards the underside of the rear?

That will be part of the DAS (Defensive Aids Suite) which will protect the aircraft against threats such as heat seeking missiles etc.

Thanks for posting this, Pete. Many memories of flying the old 146-100. The largest aircraft that I have flown on my PPL! This was due to G-OFOA being owned by Bernie Ecclestone privately and not on an AOC. Although they did get stick for being powered by 4 smaller engines (not APUs) these did give it good engine out performance and when we did ski charters into Chambery for example in the RJ100, we could depart into wind towards the high mountainous bowl of the ground ahead and turn tightly away, safe in the knowledge that on three engines we could make it out, whereas the other tour operators with B737s or similar twin jets would have to divert to Lyon if the wind got into double figures, as although they could land into wind, they would not be able to take off with the tailwind in the opposite direction out of the valley. We could also operate up in Scandinavia on snowy runways when they put hot sand down on it.
One of my most memorable trips was landing at Saanen in the Swiss Alps after a low level route through the various alpine valleys, it really was a very capable aircraft. I also remember seeing it operated by Druk Air into and out of Paro airport in Bhutan, which was very impressive surrounded by 18000 feet mountains! Yes, I definitely think that 146-100 deserves its place there at Duxford!
Cheers
AF :salut:
PeteSpencer, Cub, StratoTramp and 4 others liked this
I flew on one of these as part of the press pack covering Prince Charles in the Ukraine in 1996. Best memory was watching the Ukrainian ground crew at Sevastopol using a sledge hammer to remove the front wheel chocks as they forgot to remove them when the aircraft started to move - and I believe they have no reverse thrust? - the captain was not pleased!!!
Last edited by Micromouse on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
Rob L wrote:I believe/recall/think that the 146 used APU (Auxiliary Power Units) as the engines. I'm willing to be corrected.

Commonly said, but only in jest.

The Honeywell LF502s (507s on later models) are pretty conventional, if small, dual shaft high bypass turbofans. Not configured at-all like APUs.

G