Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
timjenner wrote:. I also recall the extremely odd and loud noise they made when extending the flaps which scared nervous passengers witless!

Certainly was an odd noise which I recall hearing as the flaps retracted when taking off on a 146 from Brussels - oddly though no recollection of it when I flew to Dublin and back on a 146 with Dan-Air about 35 years ago. I also heard it from the ground in Greenwich a few years ago when a Heathrow-bound 146 turned overhead - rutting dinosaur territory!
I’m guessing I have around 3,000 hours as captain of these things. ‘Favourite’ memories? Operating almost exclusively to and from LCY was certainly fun, and the nose down attitude on intercepting the glide - very un-jet like - was hilarious! As were some of the smaller ski destinations in Switzerland. Three engine ferries were interesting. Frozen elevators in the cruise! The overwhelming smell of urine emanating from inside the aircraft on opening Door 1L on cold mornings. Oh, and climbing in and out of the aircraft through the E & E bay and cockpit floor! :lol: Boy did the cockpit feel close to the tarmac in comparison with other jets. You could have dropped the aircraft from 300’ and as long as it landed on the undercarriage you’d walk away! There’s a wonderful video of a Swissair landing into LCY. I can’t watch it without laughing out loud!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4c0eaofrdTo

I believe that 146 left LCY a few weeks later……

On a barge! :lol: :lol:

My favourite description of the Fisher Price Starlifter/Jumbolina was that of an old lady carrying four very heavy bags of shopping! :lol:

I find myself smiling so much, I suppose I must have liked the old girl really!
PeteSpencer, MichaelP liked this
A4 Pacific wrote: There’s a wonderful video of a Swissair landing into LCY.

I recall an argument with a friend (who was working on the design of the first LCY ramp extension at the time) as he claimed the aircraft had hit the Excel building on the way in, "well that's what I was told on a site visit". Suggestion that he looked at the location of Excel in relation to LCY cut no ice, the emergence of the video convinced him he was wrong!
I happened to drive past Duxford yesterday, their new 146 is looking very shiny outside the Airspace Hangar. No idea if that's her permanent parking space (I'd personally say she warrants a space under cover if space and money permit), but she did look extremely striking.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:I happened to drive past Duxford yesterday, their new 146 is looking very shiny outside the Airspace Hangar. No idea if that's her permanent parking space (I'd personally say she warrants a space under cover if space and money permit), but she did look extremely striking.

G

There will be no space under cover and the 146 will ultimately be towed to the ‘flight line’ of all the other airliners decaying quietly outside. At present they are more or less displayed in chronological order of service .
There are only five DAS aicraft inside Airspace (Concorde, York, Comet, Dove(-suspended from ceiling and inaccessible to Joe Public) and Hermes fuselage.
I don't see any of them being moved to make space for the 146, but who knows?
Gasbag wrote:Can’t say I feel confident about the future of the Herald at all…….. loads of 146’s/RJ’s around still for possible future preservation but not Heralds...

Duxford Herald gone to Moray

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ay-museum/