Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
BoeingBoy wrote:If hangaring at any reasonable sized field, insuring for hire (and bear in mind this will be much more expensive than personal figures) along with maintenance by a CAMO/CAO I would budget for at least £10k a year. Probably more when defect rectification is allowed for.

As mentioned, you will then have engine fund to consider if you wish to keep the aircraft long term but the real cost will be in having your aircraft trashed by renters who won't care about its upkeep. Expect the interior to be soiled by mud/oil/ballpoint pen etc. Also if not operating on a Hobbs meter, expect the engine to be run at full power more often.

If you intend to fly 12 hours a month (difficult in UK weather unless maxing out in the summer) I would look for a share rather than sole ownership.

If sole ownership is not possible group it. Dont rent it.
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Bill McCarthy wrote:It’s cheaper to stand in front of a fan tearing up tenners !

That rather depends on on how fast you can tear up the tenners!
By Ibra
Personally, there is zero reason to get into certified for two seaters (unless you plan to teach PPL student on it), there is “plenty of joy” without “financial tears” if you go down the road of PtF, LSA, Microlight, TMG…

If you want 4 seats you will have to go certified: fixed gear 4 cylinders like C172 up to a PA28A would run near 15k-20k/year for 100h with hangar in UK SE…if you opt for complex, or 6 seat or 6 cylindres you will be looking at near 25k/year for 100h

If you are not flying +100h/year, you should get into a syndicate
Last edited by Ibra on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wives may be reading this. :whistle:

A friend who sadly is no longer with us had a dilemma as he neared the end... does he tell his wife what the firearms that he owned were really worth vs the price that he told her at the time.

As a newbie to this flying lark, whilst waiting for an AME, I was chatting to a guy in the waiting room. The comment he made that lasts with me was 'if it flys, floats or f....s, rent it'. He seemed a little jaded having I believe been through a couple of divorces... I suspect it's not an original comment but worthy of consideration.
By Ibra
JAFO wrote:
Ibra wrote:If you want 4 seats you will have to go certified...

Why?

Short of D140 that fits the bill and fly it’s double empty weight you will be looking for Boussard, Concord, DC3 :wink:
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ROG wrote:Seriousl;y the only guys I know who own their own planes--dont hire them out--are millionaires.

I could be if I didn't own an aeroplane! ;-)

Still, on £40k a year it would take me a while.