Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By B1man
I'm a regular visitor to Weston (and have been for years - coming from Ronaldsway - EGNS) and would agree with what @Aerotech Flyer has posted. Thankfully, Weston has been acquired by a consortium who seem intent on developing it as a GA airport with a view to attracting some of the more upmarket GA from Dublin as well as the lighter stuff. The restaurant will reopen shortly and it's their intent to switch on the VOR - they were pleasantly surprised that, despite being off for some time, it seems to be in good order. The staff are pleasant and helpful and Dublin ATC are relaxed. Landing fee for a PA32 was reduced from E50 to E40. The requirement for a negative PCR/Lateral flow test has now been lifted but you still need to complete an Irish GAR, prove that you have been vaccinated (a copy of your Covid pass)and complete a passenger locator form (found at gov.ie ).
Hopefully, the weather will be kind and you will have a pleasant trip to, and stay in Dublin!
If you need any other info/advice just give me a shout.
Iceman, G-BLEW liked this
By Pilot Pete
Iceman wrote:I have never been so am interested in hearing of @2Donkeys experience.

Iceman 8)

Is that a ' if he makes it in and out all ok' we'll all go, type comment ? :D
Dave W, 2Donkeys, Nick liked this
By George
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Interesting to find this thread as I’m planning a trip to Ireland in May. Can anyone tell me if the fees are still as exorbitant. A/c would be my AA5-B

It doesn’t have to be Weston but my brother lives in Dublin and it would be convenient.

Ta in advance!
By James Chan
FYI:

Weston Fees & Charges are here:
https://www.westonairport.ie/general-av ... cing-fees/

Dublin is here:
https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/defa ... 51990d78_2

Main thing of note with Dublin is:
Minimum Runway Landing and Take Off Charge of €300.00 will apply to all aircraft configured with less than 30 seats.
By Flyingfemme
It's not the landing fee that's the killer at Dublin - it's the handling, slot booking and security screening. Last time we went they wanted £300 to walk one pax through the scanners!
By Lefty
A quick look at SkyDemon shows at least 5 airfield within a 5 mile radius of Weston. Most of them are 550-650m and thus large enough for an AA5. However ground infrastructure (taxis / car rental) might be more problematic than at Weston.
George liked this
By George
Some like Casement are military only and others look a tad small for 4 up and reasonable fuel range. I did ring Weston and they confirmed €15 landing and €50 overnight parking but they have fuel etc (and that split among 4 is not too bad)

Any comments on doing this VFR only and what height to try and get before crossing the water?
By Rob P V2.0
I flew it in a straight line from Anglesey, I can't recall the level, whatever is available given the cloudbase I guess.

Rob P V2.0
By Lefty
Dublin will almost always force you down to below 2500 for the last 10-12nm from the Irish coast. It is where they are descending and vectoring all the CAT into Dublin.
By Flyingfemme
Wot Lefty says.
If you want/need to go into Dublin zone and cross the arrival/departure path, prepare to be messed around. If you can go under, or around, they are sweetness itself.
By Lefty
I’ve flown into Weston dozens of times - mostly VFR but at least 4/5 times under IFR.

The IFR routes into Weston are quite convoluted. They usually route you around the north of Dublin airport at above FL060 then drop you down very very quickly to the west of Weston. So quickly, that in a turbo charged a/c I’ve had to request extending the route to avoid shock cooling the turbo.

The upshot being that if the cloudbase is 1500 or above, I would recommend cancelling IFR and routing VFR along the Liffey as others have described.
johnm liked this