Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
So, I've finally obtained my IR and can finally get around to doing some touring at airways levels. I operate a Turbo Arow which, in order to use it to its fullest extent, will require a supplemental oxygen system as the factory fit option wasnt ticked.... :cry: (probably not a bad thing perhaps...)

I'm leaning heavily towards the SkyOx system but before I commit the (not insignificant) cash, I am interested to hear the views of those who have purchased systems previously.......

- Which brand did you select and why?
- And, if using SkyOx, how do you find it?
-Any useful operating tips?

Thanks,
SD
By tomdove
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Chose SkyOx as that seemed to be the most used / recommended at the time. Works well; very clear inline valve changes to green when O2 is flowing; the 'how full/pressure' guage is clear also. Cost me about £50 to re-fill last time I did it (SK12-15).
I suggest using the nose canulas - a little less comfortable but also use far less O2 per hour than the facemasks, and the nose canulas don't interfere with the headset mic.
Also good idea to use a finger oximeter, to check your O2 levels frequently/continuously
We use Mountan High with the demand puffers. A backpack style holder can go over the back of the seat. Carbon fibre cylinders are much lighter but more expensive. Served us well over a couple of decades of hard usein lots of different aircraft.
Spamcan Defender liked this
By Sooty25
If nobody else suggests anywhere, speaking to a local BOC branch would be a good start.

Make sure you are clear about use though as there are different grades of oxygen and you need medical/diving oxygen fit for breathing. Although oxygen is used in diving it is mostly in commercial applications for decompression, so you are unlikely to find it at your average scuba club/shop other than maybe as an emergency product.

Do not use oxygen sourced from welding suppliers, it is not pure enough to breath and the impurities will harm you.
By Ben Twings
I have a Sky-Ox system that I've been quite happy with.

A lot will depend on the mission requirement. I.e duration, altitude, number of users etc.

The sky-ox cannulas are quite efficient, though not as efficient as the MH pulse system which adds about $1000 to the cost. The regulator delivers the same flow rate to each connected cannula, which is less optimal than each user setting as they require.

I tended to keep a check on my oximeter and only use when I was seeing saturation in the low 90s and let the passenger use if and when they felt the need, but did most of my longer trips in the 8000 to 12000 altitudes where the need is less critical (day time). This meant that individual use was seldom more than 0.3 to 0.5 l/min.

My old hangar neighbour had a 3-bottle cascade system that he let me use, so re-filling costs were not very much. My main cylinder was an MH AL-647 which was a convenient size and lasted for multi-day trips. My local scuba shop would also re-fill it at a reasonable cost, but they would need about a week to turn it around. Refilling at an FBO is convenient, but usually the most expensive option.

I have the CGA-540 thread fitting which may not be compatible with some filling systems outside the US, so you may want to look at a DIN system or adapter for filling.

Another tip is to turn on or up your flow towards the end of a trip as it really freshens you up for the approach and landing.

My experience is based on flying mostly over the western USA and I've not put it to test much since returning to the UK.
By Paul_Sengupta
Sooty25 wrote:Do not use oxygen sourced from welding suppliers, it is not pure enough to breath and the impurities will harm you.

See Peter's comment on it here:

https://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/oxygen/index.html

A lot of stories go around in aviation about "aviation oxygen" being of better quality than welding oxygen. Nobody to my knowledge has been able to find any substance to this. I telephoned a technical contact in British Oxygen Company (BOC); they sell oxygen in four grades

Industrial
Medical
Food-Fresh
Aviation

All have the same purity specification of 99.6%. The typical actual figure is 99.8%. The only thing that differs is the paperwork and the price. Even the old story that aviation oxygen is more dry (which would make sense) is untrue; the manufacturing process is the same but the QA does differ in that with aviation oxygen there is a limit on the permitted water content. So aviation oxygen might be more dry than welding oxygen but normally it is the same stuff.
First thing to do will be get an Oximeter or two. Test them on the ground to get the figures that are normal for you and it (them) - if you can only get eg 96 sitting on the sofa close to sea level, you'll be chasing an uphill struggle to get 97+ sitting fat and dumb at FL120+. If you haven't already got one, get a flow meter too if you want to understand when & where it's going, and also a selection of cannulas to find out which you are comfortable with. Masks are expensive and relatively uncomfortable (IIRC Mountain High are the only realistic option) so you might consider constraining your operations to sub eg FL160 until you work out how to manage.

Then for getting oxygen itself, it's one of those 'it depends' situations. If you buy in sufficient quantities it is cheap, but the up-front costs are higher. If you only need enough for 10 hours/year then you may not consider it worth it. I'm nearer the high use end, and for a large cylinder at 3000psi, the annual rental is just over £50 equivalent, and an Aviatiors Breathing Oxygen (ABO) refill is about the same (but that's from PanGas, the UK equivalent would be someone like BOC). With oxysaver canulas and an altitude compensating regulator but no fancy/expensive pulse regulators, that's something like 200 man hours at FL200 (for a big installed cylinder, gives 3 refills from close to empty to full in between, plus a bit more if you don't need a full aircraft cylinder)

Also think about how much flying between home base visits - getting oxygen whilst away can be awkward - it's easier with a portable system, but as a portable is likely to be smaller, then you're more likely to need to do it. Built in systems will be subject to the aircraft airworthiness requirements which can add some challenges (eg a W&B correction whilst the cylinder is out for testing) and some FBOs will bend you over for a refill.

Historical tale: I used to flog between White Waltham and La Rochelle frequently (around a couple of hours), normally FL080/090 without oxygen, and the evening after arrival/next day would be distinctly knackered. Subsequently doing Mulhouse-La Rochelle (also a couple of hours ish) at FL180/190 with oxygen, no tiredness problem at all

(Nerd detail: fixed cylinder/regulator is an Avox 895-08015 used with Scott Green adapters, Oxysaver cannulas & Avox flowmeters, or MH masks and Avox flowmeters)
'Nitrox' diving is much more common than it was so many more dive shops will have oxygen on-site than before, but still not all.
If you buy a portable system they may require you to buy an 'optional extra' adapter that will assist the dive shop to do your refil.