Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
CloudHound wrote:The wonderful comedian Michael Bentine’s son lay dead for weeks in the wreckage of a Piper Cub not that many miles from Blackbushe.

Bentine was a fascinating and multi-fasceted man -with a significant aviation background, well worth reading about. That tragedy was, unsurprisingly one of the major factors in his attitude towards his life and work.

G
JAFO liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:I don't think I'd be missed................. :lol:

Seriously though: If I'm going across the Channel. 'er indoors becomes my 'responsible adult' for the return trip.

Otherwise if I'm not a tom in time for 'us tea she hits the red button..................... :wink:

Are you sure about that ?
By Hooligan
CloudHound wrote:The wonderful comedian Michael Bentine’s son lay dead for weeks in the wreckage of a Piper Cub not that many miles from Blackbushe.

I recall reading about that accident recently - here's the report...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... G-AYPN.pdf

Incidentally, I'd say please do always let somebody know what your intentions are, if not you nearest and dearest, then a trusted friend.

(I walk in Sarf London/North Surrey every day, occasionally along paths that, while not in the slightest bit remote, can be very rarely used by others. On those days I generally text a friend to let her know roughly where I'll be and at what time, and again when I get home. Also, having had a friend collapse, die and remain unfound in his flat for three weeks - possibly alive for some of that time, the autopsy was inconclusive - and another friend's estranged wife die in a similar manner, living alone I tend to make sure I keep in touch with friends and family daily!)
By Dave W
Bear in mind, I reckon, that as well as informing the "responsible person" of your ETA etc you should also let them know WHAT to do if you fail to turn up.

"Well, hubby/wife hasn't turned up. Oh, they nominated me to look out for them but didn't say what to do now."

A surprisingly easy thing to overlook - few of us like to explore possible bad outcomes to deeply.

At best a 999 call will delay things; at worst it might not have the necessary effect in time.

The Skyway Code recommends providing the "responsible person" with the 24H AFPEx Help Desk number: 08456 010 483
Hooligan, russp liked this
By ChampChump
Wasn't one result of the Bentine accident the 'booking out' book? It works - at least, when information is known to be needed.

I was contacted when WKW went in because I'd booked out and those involved knew where to find me. Or where to look, had I not made it.
By Lefty
Dave W wrote:Bear in mind, I reckon, that as well as informing the "responsible person" of your ETA etc you should also let them know WHAT to do if you fail to turn up.

"Well, hubby/wife hasn't turned up. Oh, they nominated me to look out for them but didn't say what to do now."

The Skyway Code recommends providing the "responsible person" with the 24H AFPEx Help Desk number: 08456 010 483

Not sure what a flightplan help desk can / would do? I understood it was manned by IT people?

I’d suggest giving the number of D&D. +44 1489 62 26 91
After all, they are the ones who find & coordinate the rescue of crashed or lost aircraft.
Dino wrote:I fly from an uncontrolled strip and although there may be other people around, no-one knows I've gone flying, so if I failed to return no-one would know !

The usual advice is to tell someone when you expect to be back.
I'd rather not do that……

Any ideas??

if you are concerned enough that you want someone to know if it has gone wrong, you would want them to know as soon as it has happened, not potentially some hours later if you have failed to return?

Perhaps you could consider getting a shock activated ELT fitted, like a large proportion of C of A aircraft have.
By Dave W
Lefty wrote:Not sure what a flightplan help desk can / would do?
I’d suggest giving the number of D&D. +44 1489 62 26 91

It's the number the Skyway Code recommends (p165).

D&D clearly an excellent option - Mrs W gets both.
Lefty wrote:After all, they are the ones who find & coordinate the rescue of crashed or lost aircraft.

D&D is only good for airborne issue. Once you've crashed you want UK Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre, HMCG National Maritime Operations Centre, Tel: 023-8032-9100 (AIP GEN 3.6)
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:I don't think they ever found Steve Fossett. Slightly different landscape to UK though.

They did, sort of.

just checked, yes, 12 months later....

What about the Emergency SOS feature on Smart Watches? Does assume you are able to trigger it, or maybe the fall detection functions if the "landing" isn't so smooth?