Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
NeilWin wrote:I hope I'm not being daft (it is entirely likely), but do you mean track down the names and addresses of Avid/Kitfox owners from somewhere (like G-Info) and send them a letter? Or have I missed something, is there a better way?

Thanks, Neil

I put a wanted Ad on afors. Got two or three responses and ended up buying one of those. The chap had two in his barn.

Mine is also not for sale.
NeilWin liked this
By Forfoxake
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheFarmer wrote:No, that’s exactly how to do it.

If you write a polite, succinct explanation of how you’re looking for something like their aircraft, and explain that you’re apologetic about your cold-call style approach (and hope they don’t mind etc), then it’s a good way to find what you want.

Add your phone number and email address, and assure them you’ll not be in touch again if you don’t hear back from them.

Don’t be too scattergun though, and find that someone responds positively, and then you decide you don’t like it when you see it….! You need to know you’re prepared to buy it, you have the cash ready, and that they have a pleasant and easy sale.

You need to accept that you will almost certainly pay slightly over the odds for an aircraft using this route, and that’s because you’ve shown your hand and they know you’re keen. Your negotiating options are limited.

However, in 30 years of aircraft ownership, I quickly learned that you’re better to pay over the odds for something really nice, than getting a bargain that’s a moneypit.

The only thing worse than that, is to get something that’s ‘shiny and really nice’, that’s also a moneypit. Please do your homework and take someone with you who knows the type inside out.

If it’s a Kitfox you find, there are quite a few people I know who I can put you in touch with all over the UK who I’d trust to nod/shake their head at one. :thumleft:

Oh, and don’t bother writing to me to ask if mine’s for sale. :D

I agree that this is the best way to try to find what you want- using G-INFO searches for the names and addresses.

PS My Kitfox (G-LESZ) is not for sale either. Think there might be a pattern developing here but good luck!
NeilWin liked this