Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
flyingearly wrote:....you look around and think it almost sounds feels like I'm robbing them.

I doubt you'd think that when paying the landing fee at Wadswick (no sense of being short of a shilling :wink: ), but then I doubt you'd grudge paying it either as it apparently goes to the Air Ambulance Service. :clap: It just enhances the experience of the visit. :D

Caution; for those who don't like mud, it's rather muddy at the moment. :(
Nick, kanga liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Have you been in to Wadswick recently @Miscellaneous, that’s a bit off the beaten track for you ? The farm shop does indeed have a great café and the landing fees go to a good cause. Wadswick should really be renamed Ed’s Field but there’s one of those in Yorkshire already :lol:.

Iceman 8)
@Iceman, I have, I was in on Wednesday last week. Nice place. Had a steak sandwich and a wander around looking at guns and a mooch around the hangars for a bit of a chat. :D I was right hand seat. As indeed I was the only time I've flown from Ed's Field in Yorkshire. :D

Haven't flown myself yet this year. :(
Iceman, Nick liked this
ROG wrote:Like most I only used them for rather pricey fields. Once went to one which I wouldn"t normally go to-rather pricey and nothing much there, but my mate hadn"t been there so thought he could have a look.
Gave the voucher to the "lady" behind the counter. Transpired "its bipanes only"didn"t youi read the small print -she said. Oh said I how about triplanes.

That's a good try!

On a similar topic, Wales are reported as reducing their covid restrictions later this month.
Cardiff (city) will be needing some much missed tourist dosh from the Six Nations international rugby matches during the pandemic.
Coincidentally, Wales v Scotland is on 6th Feb at 14:15.

Perhaps someone will fly into Cardiff, watch the game, and fly home the next day?
Take mates and have a "common purpose" for the flight sharing cost.

On second thoughts that sounds like GA being used as part of the national transport infrastructure, safeguarding a national network of airfields, maintenance organisations, training, supporting local community, ..... and all the other good things that get mentioned typically when we try and save a smaller airfield from being turned into housing.

Being winter, the weather probably wont play ball.
Aerials liked this
By Rob P
We turned up at Shoreham for a bargain offer that was publicised here. We just wish we'd gone on the right week. :(

Wittering's freebie offer went better though.

Rob P
Paying more (tipping) than the actual landing fee is a new one to me. I think it was discussed in another topic that 99% of income at airfields comes from resident parking, rent from businesses and fuel sales. So here's a thought, why aren't some places with cafes owned by the airfield actually free to land at if that is the case? Maybe income would actually increase that way. In the places where not yet they see fit for a £10-15 landing fee Im afraid I'll continue the use of these great vouchers. If airfields didn't want them then they just don't offer them to the Flyer club, simple.
Charley Farley, Tomb liked this
By Fellsteruk
rogerb wrote:Idea for flyer club :.
Over the years I have been to a couple of GA type days hosted at various military airfields for various reasons.

Shawbury, Yeovilton and Warton to name but three.

Could one or two of these be organised for the club.

I like the idea of that… been thinking of visiting Mona at some point would make a great weekend meet up event local :)
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iceman wrote:Have you been in to Wadswick recently @Miscellaneous, that’s a bit off the beaten track for you ? The farm shop does indeed have a great café and the landing fees go to a good cause. Wadswick should really be renamed Ed’s Field but there’s one of those in Yorkshire already :lol:.

Iceman 8)

Just trying to show him some decent strips this side of the border Ice! :wink:

Nick
Iceman, Miscellaneous liked this
I don't own an airfield, but I can see the dilemma:

Do I continue to cater for pilots who pay a £5 landing fee and moan about my cafe; or do I get planning permission, sell out to a developer for housing and use the proceeds to buy an SF50 and a house somewhere sunny with a private runway?

Tough call! :wink:
Last edited by Jonzarno on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr7v8, kanga, Ibra liked this
Jonzarno wrote:..
Do I continue to cater for pilots who pay a £5 landing fee and moan about my cafe; ..:

in 'normal' times there are 'heritage weeks' in Gloucester and Cheltenham, listing in a booklet local history places such as museums which are 'free admission this week with this booklet'. JAM is featured. We do get some people visiting who otherwise would not have (which is good), who wave the booklet when they come to Reception.. We explain that admission is always free anyway (, 'but we welcome donations ..') :)

[I do not recall any moans about the cafe, either :thumright: ]
Jonzarno liked this