Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nick wrote:
TheFarmer wrote::lol:

“PLOUGH”?!!!!

I’ll have you know that’s an intricate directional control device. :D

That's what I said PLOUGH!!!! The potatoes are going in tomorrow!
:lol: :lol:

Nick
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Perhaps somewhere like Bournemouth could do a fly-in before the international holiday season kicks off? Hard runway should be long enough for GA types :wink:
Plenty of things to do in the local area once the days get more hours of daylight.

The politician, writer and sportsman George Charles Grantley FitzHardinge Berkeley visited Bournemouth about a hundred and fifty years ago and said: “At Bournemouth man has no amusement of any kind.”

Last time I was there, nothing much had changed. Oh, apart from the aviation museum which lets you sit in all the cockpits. :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Like most I only used them for rather pricey fields. Once went to one which I wouldn"t normally go to-rather pricey and nothing much there, but my mate hadn"t been there so thought he could have a look.
Gave the voucher to the "lady" behind the counter. Transpired "its bipanes only"didn"t youi read the small print -she said. Oh said I how about triplanes.
By BobD
PeteSpencer wrote:
I use the monthly voucher nominations as a 'where shall I go next?' prompt.
I usually pay the fee when I get there unless its a freebie by virtue of fuel uplift.................... :wink:

Likewise - off to Spanhoe today for the first time, and it has a hard runway. :D
By rogerb
Idea for flyer club :.
Over the years I have been to a couple of GA type days hosted at various military airfields for various reasons.

Shawbury, Yeovilton and Warton to name but three.

Could one or two of these be organised for the club.
Exactly Charley. The 'holier than thou, oh look at me paying the fee anyway' I find offensive on here. To some people that £10 saving might mean they actually get in an aircraft and go somewhere which they wouldn't otherwise do.

When in Britain I have no qualms whatsoever going into a £5 field, handing in the voucher, and leaving 10 mins later if there is nothing there. Why wouldn't you when these FREE vouchers exist?

Good on you for asking the question (which I don't think you'll get a positive reply to as people would just keep on printing them every month and visit eg Wellesbourne etc for free all year!). 'Can't believe the temerity of some people', well I can't believe the replies on this forum!

Suggestion for webmasters......rename this forum FlyerPPrune.co.uk
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Charley Farley wrote:I don't know the process for getting / selecting the free landing vouchers in Flyer, but I noticed that all five of them in the January edition are for airfields that have grass runways and some are rather short. That pretty much rules them out for our aircraft. Hard runways are generally the rule for us in the winter months.

I'm sure that some of these airfields would be great to visit in the summer months, when they would be more do-able.

Is there any way that this could be taken into account? We can't be the only ones that struggle with short, grass runways in winter. Or is it just a matter of which airfields (very generously) offer free landings at the time?

It is basically defined by the airfields who are willing to work with us in any particular month. We do try to take the season/conditions into account, but we're not (usually) in the position of being able to perm 6 from 10 etc.

Hope that helps

Ian
JAFO, kanga, Dodo liked this
By Peter Gristwood
SteveX wrote:Exactly Charley. The 'holier than thou, oh look at me paying the fee anyway' I find offensive on here.

Sorry to have been offensive, but I see it as a contribution towards the airfield operators. Unless a pilot takes on fuel or has a meal in the cafe, the owner gets nothing from a free landing, except the hope the pilot may return.

In the scheme of things, a £5-10 landing fee isn't a great burden and if it helps the income of an airfield, its a price I'm prepared to pay - but that is probaly just virtue signalling :wink:
malcolmfrost, Iceman, JAFO and 3 others liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
rogerb wrote:Idea for flyer club :.
Over the years I have been to a couple of GA type days hosted at various military airfields for various reasons.

Shawbury, Yeovilton and Warton to name but three.

Could one or two of these be organised for the club.

Thanks roger, quite a few projects are in preparation for this year - watch this space :-)

Ian
rogerb and 1 others liked this
Peter Gristwood wrote:
SteveX wrote:Exactly Charley. The 'holier than thou, oh look at me paying the fee anyway' I find offensive on here.

Sorry to have been offensive, but I see it as a contribution towards the airfield operators. Unless a pilot takes on fuel or has a meal in the cafe, the owner gets nothing from a free landing, except the hope the pilot may return.

In the scheme of things, a £5-10 landing fee isn't a great burden and if it helps the income of an airfield, its a price I'm prepared to pay - but that is probaly just virtue signalling :wink:

I'm happy to be 'that guy' and virtue-signal by saying I will actually pay MORE than the landing fee if I feel I've had a good experience. I see it as no different to tipping for a service provided; if I get good service, then it's in my interest for that airfield to keep going; happy to round up from £15 to £20, or £10 to £20 (plus, my default assumption is that most airfields don't take card; I never carry cash around, so before I fly I specifically get my 'flying cash' out which will just sit in my pocket if I don't then spend it).

I have never used a voucher, only because I haven't flown enough to fly somewhere the voucher covers, but I would definitely use one for someone pricier like Biggin/Shoreham etc, but like others I wouldn't for somewhere more basic.

I'm more surprised when I've flown into somewhere that you can see is really putting an effort in - somewhere like Beccles (flew in last November) and they charge £5 landing fee for microlights....you look around and think it almost sounds feels like I'm robbing them.
Iceman, JAFO, kanga liked this