Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to train for my CPL and need to get a class 1 medical. I was once prescribed some anti depressants around 7 years ago but only took them for a week or so.

A year ago I had some anxiety and depression and was referred to a physiatrist who reffered me to a therapist so I was able to have cbt therapy through my private insurance and again I had anti depressants prescribed but only used them for a few weeks.

I'm not currently on any medication or having any therapy and feel fine.

1. Do I need to disclose this information? If I chose not to, do they have full access to my medical history and would find out regardless.

2. If I have to disclose is this likely to cause issues being granted my class 1?

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for the reply and link.

When you say maintain it, that worries me as would I have to be under constant assessment going forward? I'd hate to pour in tens of thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours to the have someone tell me that I'm now not fit to fly even though I was signed off a year or two earlier.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
atpl2022 wrote:Thank you for the reply and link.

When you say maintain it, that worries me as would I have to be under constant assessment going forward? I'd hate to pour in tens of thousands of pounds and hundreds of hours to the have someone tell me that I'm now not fit to fly even though I was signed off a year or two earlier.

The German Wings event heightened awareness of mental illness worldwide in its relevance to aviation certification.

I guess that any mental health condition that could recur would require regular monitoring and if severe recurrence to the extent that flight capability might be compromised one might have to be prepared for medical/ licence to be pulled, which is a risk to be considered.

In the same way, for example that a cardiac condition which , as a licence requirement, might need to be regularly monitored . Any significant deterioration affecting capability might see medical / licence rescinded.

I guess it’s a risk you decide to take in the long term.
Or not.

Good luck.

Peter
( not an AME but medically qualified)
By Flyin'Dutch'
AME here:

1. You should declare it as otherwise you are a) dishonest b) risk not getting your medical ever
2. The professional aviation scene is an extremely pressurised environment which other than the normal stresses of flying in any conditions and high workload is further complicated with added stress due to work rosters, shift and irregular work times, long days and add to that the vagueries of the aviation industry with feast and famine all very much outside an individual's control.

If the opportunity had arisen I would have probably gone and done commercial licence early on but as it was, it didn't and now looking back on a career which has stood me in good stead so far I am pleased I didn't go and fly professionally but managed to do a lot of 'fun' flying.
PeteSpencer, Dodo, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
[quote="Flyin'Dutch']

If the opportunity had arisen I would have probably gone and done commercial licence early on but as it was, it didn't and now looking back on a career which has stood me in good stead so far I am pleased I didn't go and fly professionally but managed to do a lot of 'fun' flying.[/quote]

Too right :

As a teenager I have my A level biology master to thank for nobbling my parents into persuading me to withdraw in the early 1960s my application to Hamble and sending me on a completely different career path .
Of course there was never any guarantee that Hamble would have accepted me, (that’s how I rationalised it) so I never regretted the career path change .

Though it was another 30 years before I gave the flying bug a good scratch :lol:

edit: relevance
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By matspart3
atpl2022 wrote:Thank you for the reply and link.

All pilots (private and commercial) are subject to ongoing medical assessment throughout their flying careers. The frequency increases with age but it’ll be at least biannually initially. You’re legally bound to declare a reduction in fitness, injury and the use of any medication. It’s possible to buy (and many airlines provide) medical loss of licence insurance.

It’s important to point out that each case is completely individual. The guidance material I linked before and feedback on a forum (including mine!) is no substitute for an initial medical assessment, which is the only way to determine wether, or not you meet the required standard. You’ll have to pay the fee for it, but it’s a lot cheaper than commercial flying training.

Good luck!
Go get your Class 1 first to avoid any wasted time, effort and hopes.

My scenario is Class 2 only so take with a punch of salt but
1) if you’re in remission and can show there’s little risk of recurrence then you should be ok (massively depends on your personal situation and this is why you need to see CAA). However get a decent report from your physiatrist/GP and use the CAA proforma so they use the words the CAA are looking for.

2) if you relapse you’ll be grounded until you’re in remission again. This is no different to any other physical problem so don’t let that, in its own, stop you following your dreams. For whatever illness someone has, they need to accept aviation needs pilots to be safe. Only you can weigh up your susceptibility to triggers but don’t think mental health issues are any different or unique or taboo.