Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
Fellsteruk wrote:..

I did mine at Liverpool, was able to land and come to a full stop on the runway then take off which given the runway length wasn’t an issue.

Quite a lot longer than even the long runway at 'old' Speke, but I did my initial civil training in a C140 at Goose Bay and GFT in a C150 at sleepy Stansted: lots of fullstops possible within the runway length :wink:
By kanga
MattL wrote:..

Some of our big RAF aircraft do ‘bump and goes’ which is where the aircraft isn’t fully landed on nose wheel before going again!

including, it is rumoured, by 'mistake' when only a 'go around from low pass after training approach' was intended and cleared, eg A400Ms at Staverton :)
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Crash one wrote:Just to chuck a spanner in the works. Three take off and full stop landings if it’s a tailwheel aircraft.

I guess the Tesco trolley-wheel at the back makes it a bit tricky keeping straight on the roll-out............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Lerk
Depends on licence, (it is for not FCL licences), best look at Skyway Code for what you have to do to comply if you fly with a non fcl licence.
Cap1535 on caa website

Ah yes of course…

Now we are no longer a member of EASA surely all UKCAA PPL licences should flatten to the same regs - no wait, what on earth am I thinking with such a sensible idea! :lol:
By Ibra
I had the impression the takeoff in darkness is the one that needs a full-stop appreciation not the landings?

- On night takeoff into open sea or dark land at night with no horizon you better nail the speed & compass on rotation & climb

- On Touch & Go, the time spent with a blocked forward view and no horizon is minimal so one does not feel much illusions from rotation & acceleration & climb

I am just guessing, I forgot to switch PCL runway lights (edges) on takeoff after full stop one day, it would have been obvious if it was TnG :lol:
Last edited by Ibra on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Irv Lee
Lerk wrote:Now we are no longer a member of EASA surely all UKCAA PPL licences should flatten to the same regs - no wait, what on earth am I thinking with such a sensible idea! :lol:

Well, if it doesn't happen soon, you have to question if it is endemic anti GA sentiment in DfT or CAA, or just one with it in a blocking position. Presumably the latter as the the dam has cracked a little already.
By PaulSS
Just to chuck a spanner in the works. Three take off and full stop landings if it’s a tailwheel aircraft.

Interesting, Crash, where is that stated? Genuine question as I can see no sense in that whatsoever (but know that sometimes this makes no difference). Putting the tailwheel on the ground is no different to doing the same with the nosewheel.
By Rob P
PaulSS wrote:Putting the tailwheel on the ground is no different to doing the same with the nosewheel.

:snooty:

Rob P
JAFO, Crash one liked this
By Irv Lee
Rob P wrote:
PaulSS wrote:Putting the tailwheel on the ground is no different to doing the same with the nosewheel.

:snooty:

Rob P

T'wasn't PaulSS saying that. Must have been someone who lands a tricycle on all 3 wheels at once, ;-)
@PaulSS i have same question as you posed
By Crash one
I can’t remember where it was mentioned but I seem to remember that it was from some official source rather than the clubhouse bar. And it seemed sensible.
By PaulSS
Come on, Crash; you can’t state something categorically and then not be able to support it with the rule’s reference…..if it exists.

I’ve certainly never heard of such a requirement but am prepared to learn from the rule book but not from something someone wrote on a forum, even if he did reckon it was sensible.
By Dave W
It's an FAA rule so won't apply to most on this forum most of the time.

14 CFR 61.57(a)(1)(ii)

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required), and, if the aircraft to be flown is an airplane with a tailwheel, the takeoffs and landings must have been made to a full stop in an airplane with a tailwheel.
Ibra, T67M, MikeB liked this
By Crash one
Dave W wrote:It's an FAA rule so won't apply to most on this forum most of the time.

14 CFR 61.57(a)(1)(ii)

(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required), and, if the aircraft to be flown is an airplane with a tailwheel, the takeoffs and landings must have been made to a full stop in an airplane with a tailwheel.

Perhaps that’s where I saw it.
Regardless of the rules, how many instructors here would be happy with three rolling touch and go on a tailwheel that can’t touch nosewheel first? Maybe prop first!
It’s also safe enough to land tail first, reasonably.