Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
AndyR wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Thanks Irv, I think I’ll go and lie down in a darkened room ….,,,,., :roll:

Skyway code says ‘same type or class’ for the90 days

Hi Pete, that’s to cover those who fly different classes or types. I regularly fly two different classes (SEP, MEP) and one type (turbine). That starts to become a headache to ensure I’m 90 day current.

However, as I assume you are referring to SEP, so long as you have 3 take off and landings in the SEP class you’ll be fine. It can be one in a PA28, one in a C152 and one in a Robin.

Whilst that is an example of what counts for the SEP class, some aircraft owners/groups confuse the situation by wanting 90 day currency on the same aircraft 'type' (make/model) within the SEP class even though it does not need a Type Rating.

e.g.1. all the 90 day currency is on a PA28 but the group wont let you fly their Cessna without a checkout.
e.g. 2 all the 90 day currency is on a C152 but the group wont let you fly their C172 without a checkout.
e.g. 3 all the 90 day currency is on an LAA type but the group wont let you fly their Cessna without a checkout.

They are in the same SEP class so flying another aircraft in the SEP class with passengers would be legal, but the aircraft owner has a stricter rule than the law whether they will even allow a solo flight.

I can understand why some have stricter rules, since their is quite a range of flying skills and experience out there, but it can discourage people from flying multiple aircraft make/models within the SEP class so I would speculate many PPLs might fly the same thing all the time for the least amount of hassle and without the expense of the additional checkouts.
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I wasn’t sure about this point either when I recently took air law. I recall it says that you have to do 3 take offs and landings in the preceding 90 days. I’m not sure it says or means three flights. I’ve understood that on day 89, you could rent an aircraft, do 3 circuits with 2 T&G’s, 1 landing and keep currency for taking passengers. Have I interpreted that correctly? Logically, it could make sense - if the law is aimed at ensuring you can land safely, is there any reason you should need to do 3 separate flights.
By F70100
Actually, on day 89 since your third last take-off and landing, you could take your passengers anyway, do 1 take-off and landing and then start counting another 90 days from the day of what was, until today, your second last take-off and landing.
By Milty
Fair point well made. I should have worded it better. The point I’m checking is whether it can be one flight with 3 take offs and landings or if it has to be 3 separate flights.
By foxmoth
Actually at 89 days it would depend on when you did the two landings beforehand- you need to have the three under your belt, once you have no landings in the last 90 days you need to do the 3, It can be one flight with three TO/landings, and you could do this on day 91 or after as long as you do it before flying with pax. I used to do it with two low level circuits then do an EFATO just after getting airborne doing the whole lot in under 15 mins chock to chock.
Milty liked this
Legally if dont have 3 takeoffs and landings in the preceding 90 days then can fly solo until have 3 take offs and landings under the belt for the date want to fly a passenger.
However it is likely a group/syndicate/flying school/club rental will have stricter rules that wont allow that solo flying to gain passenger flying currency and insist on dual with an instructor to get current.

The law and local stricter rules are one side of the story. If a pilot feels they need a check out before then they should be encouraged to have the checkout with no stigma.

Sometimes I have chosen to do check flights earlier than required by law or local rules.
During the check flight it will soon be apparent if that was the correct decision or a case of being over cautious or under confident. Better safe than sorry.
I have come across pilots that are over confident for their experience and currency.... at best their flying just increases wear n tear on the aircraft.
Milty, NDB_hold liked this
By Irv Lee
Milty wrote: The point I’m checking is whether it can be one flight with 3 take offs and landings or if it has to be 3 separate flights.

Nothing in the 90 day law about flights, just about take offs and landings. Best check these things in the Skyway Code.
Milty liked this
By Irv Lee
@PeteSpencer
the rule was a target for gold plate from day one . Soon after the 90 day rule came in, i flew with a pupil to an airfield where landing fees were paid in the flying club. A prominent notice there said that due to new european rules, all club members had to book a club aircraft and log 3 circuits every 3 months. (ie in addition to anything else and whether they wanted to take passengers or not, 3 circuits at that airfield in club aircraft).
:roll:
By Irv Lee
@Lerk
Depends on licence, (it is for not FCL licences), best look at Skyway Code for what you have to do to comply if you fly with a non fcl licence.
Cap1535 on caa website
By PeteSpencer
Irv Lee wrote:@PeteSpencer
the rule was a target for gold plate from day one . Soon after the 90 day rule came in, i flew with a pupil to an airfield where landing fees were paid in the flying club. A prominent notice there said that due to new european rules, all club members had to book a club aircraft and log 3 circuits every 3 months. (ie in addition to anything else and whether they wanted to take passengers or not, 3 circuits at that airfield in club aircraft).
:roll:

My former school had a strictly imposed 28 day rule, pax or not:
As at the time I was on a strict work rota, if I flew on a Saturday then wanted to book four weekends later but on a Sunday, I was one day over: They knew me well, had just trained me to PPL but would not budge, so my flying costs were always being inflated.

Fortunately I was able to join a group shortly afterwards.......
By kanga
Irv Lee wrote:..
Always been the case here - well, maybe I have to be careful with Kanga around... what I mean is that I do not remember a time when it was not the case here in the UK for a night rating/qualification to have to have full stops in the initial night training

:oops:

[same as my memory from Air Law (in UK and Canada) >50 years ago, but as I've only ever been a Day/VFR bimbler I haven't ppaid much attention since :wink: ]
Irv Lee liked this