Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingearly
I remember reading once that the definition of whether you were rich or not was whether you used 'winter' as a verb.

In that vein, I'm interested to know if anyone anywhere has ever found a feasible way of keeping flying during November - February by relocating their a/c to a different base (in the UK) with a hard runway and - if so - whether there are any airfields offering flexible basing.

Our lovely microlight is at Rochester, but we're finding that once we hit mid-November and the weather starts getting wet, that's pretty much it for flying. The occasional day is available, but aligning weather, diaries and runway conditions is next to impossible. I've just come back from the airfield where it was a stunningly beautiful day, virtually nil wind, but the runway's too boggy and they're only allowing maintainence and emergency flights in/out. This is our first year there, but I understand this is pretty normal. We'd like to keep her there given it's the perfect mid-point for our group, but it means our flying stops October/early November.

That said, just across the river, Damyns Hall continues to be flyable, which leads me to my question: are there any airfields that would offer a flexible, second-base winter home?

My working assumption is that what I'm asking for doesn't exist and that we'd need to pay hangarage/parking for two bases year-round, which we couldn't really afford. We're currently (reluctantly) parked outside (waiting to go into the new hangar), so wouldn't be too averse to being exposed to the elements in exchange for a hard runway for a few months a year. We accept it's not ideal though.

Utopia would be somewhere with a hard-runway that would offer parking/hangarage November - March (approx); happy for it to be a longer drive (up to 2 hours), on the basis that this would be a reasonable compromise to keep flying during the months when we'd otherwise be grounded.

Am I dreaming? How do others do it, or do you all just stay on the ground November - February?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I know that @Ridders of this parish has decamped from Deanland to Redhill on at least one previous winter. An odd choice of winter abode one might think, bearing in mind Redhill’s reputation for being able to do a float-plane rating there in the winter :lol:. But they do have an unlicensed hard runway 25 / 07 now, formerly the C/D taxiway, which has been used for decades for winter takeoff and landings. The 10 knot crosswind limit has now been removed which makes it a viable hard runway for most winter ops. Have a word with Redhill Ops for rates.

Iceman 8)
By bilko2
This problem has got worse in the last few years (climate change?). My strip in Dorset used to be mostly usable in winter, for the last 5ish years it has been too soft.

The solution is Perfo but I have been too mean so far.
By Dodo
There used to be a couple of aircraft I know of that came to Shoreham for part of each winter.

One outside, one in the main hangar.

At the moment, as far as I can see, there is lots of outside parking available but not a lot of hangar space.
By Lefty
cirrostratus wrote:Henstridge has in the past offered such a service .

I suggest you’d need to be really desperate to consider commuting from the Rochester area to Henstridge to go flying.
Iceman liked this
By Rob L
flyingearly wrote:... I'm interested to know if anyone anywhere has ever found a feasible way of keeping flying during November - February by relocating their a/c to a different base (in the UK) with a hard runway and - if so - whether there are any airfields offering flexible basing....

(My very heavy snip, sorry)

Why not stay on a hard runway all year round? That's what I do.
(With grass available when dry during the summer).
By lutonwho
Duxford has the following on it’s website,

“Parking rates for light aircraft are £1,732.50 per annum, £970.20 for six months and £210.00 per month. The latter contract is also suitable for basing aircraft at Duxford airfield during the winter months. Terms and conditions apply, including security and insurance requirements.”

It’s only an hour from Rochester on a good day, maybe worth considering. LW
Stampe liked this
By flyingearly
Lydd could be a good option, actually - I hadn't thought of that. We're scattered across Kent, East to West, so Rochester works well for all, but Lydd is less than an hour for everyone. I'll drop them an email - thanks for the suggestions!
By Lefty
flyingearly wrote:Lydd could be a good option, actually - I hadn't thought of that. We're scattered across Kent, East to West, so Rochester works well for all, but Lydd is less than an hour for everyone. I'll drop them an email - thanks for the suggestions!

Have you checked the situation at Headcorn? They are grass, but I’ve never heard of them being closed due runway conditions.
By JodelDavo
Lefty wrote:Have you checked the situation at Headcorn? They are grass, but I’ve never heard of them being closed due runway conditions.

Headcorn closes to fixed wing aircraft fairly regularly in winter, and gets quite muddy/soft. But normally recovers in a few days. I don’t know many grass airfields in the south east that are able to fly all year round.