Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tnowak
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone bother taking out travel (medical) insurance when flying to near Europe for short duration trips in their aircraft?
If so, any suggestions re: companies?

There was at least one company pre-COVID where you could purchase enhanced cover for a week or so, but their base price now for basic travel insurance is high.
By Iceman
Ditto, annual, multi-trip cover, including light aircraft (non-aerobatic) via Traffords. Reasonable rates (typically around £150 per annum), as @Flyingfemme indicates.

Iceman 8)
By GrahamB
ROG wrote:I get an annual with staysure ,which gives you cover in europe Presumably your aircraft insurance covers the time that you"re in the plane.

But not for medical costs and/or repatriation if you are unfortunate enough to get injured while in it.
... I would add that at least some basic travel insurance policies have a condition that the cover is dependent on the insured getting abroad as a fare paying passenger on commercial transport, or similar wording.

Repatriation might not be by airliner, but by chartered medevac flight, perhaps accompanied by a medical team not just the pilot.
I once had the bill for a medevac seneca covering the aircraft routing Oxford (base) -> France -> Farnborough -> Oxford to take me from France to Farnborough.
Plus it will be private ambulance between hospitals and airports.

The cost is significantly higher than the insurance premium if it is ever claimed.