Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I'm back on the Forum after quite a while, and I apologise in advance if this is a bit long winded.

My flying decreased quite a bit during 2019, mainly because I ended up working overseas where there is zero possibility of private flying. Then of course, COVID kicked off in early 2020.

I did zero flying in 2020, and last year, when things got a little closer to normal, I revalidated by test after a couple of sorties to knock the rust off. My intention was to recommence flying the shareoplane after a quick session with a fellow group member just to ensure I and the group were 100% happy with my performance in our venerable aircraft. Poor met and limited availability of me (I'm working full time from home) and other group members has meant that I'm now into January 2022 and still haven't flown it.

All through this period, I have of course been paying the monthly fee for the group (quite right too). The outcome is that I've spent over £2500 for three hours in the air over the last two and a half years.

I am scheduled to retire in summer 2023, and so I'm already making some tough decisions about different financial circumstances in the future. In a separate post, I mentioned that I've just bought a new EV - in the expectation that it will quite possibly be my last car.

Given the likelihood that I will be very lucky to get 10 hours flying in this year, I am really torn as to whether I should bite the bullet and put my share up for sale and accept that my flying days are over.

I know there is no straightforward answer to the situation, but just writing it and sharing it with a community who understand is cathartic.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Only you can decide if you enjoy flying and want to spend your hard earned/saved money on it.

But reading your monologue it doesnt appear that money was the problem, moreover the problem was lack of time due work comittments and other restrictions outwith work commitments. There is a reason that the retired are over-represented on our aeroclub board, its because they have the time to commit to it, so it appears to me that retiring will mean you will then definitely have the time to fly when there are no external restrictions.

But, Only you can decide if you enjoy flying and want to spend your hard earned/saved money on it. :wink:

Regards, SD..
rats404, T6Harvard, Sooty25 and 1 others liked this
It's difficult to answer without knowing your specific personal circumstances, but one would assumed post-retirement that available time would increase.

On the basis that this is really a financial question, could there be a third way to keep flying? Given you're an integral part of the group, could you sell your share but continue to fly with an existing member as their passenger, or paying for each flight you do (effectively, renting from the group you were a member of)?
rats404 liked this
By Big Dex
The concept of retirement without an aeroplane doesn't appeal to me greatly, although I readily that accept other opinions are available and valid.

I would be very tempted to look at offloading the share and buying a permit aircraft (or part thereof) with running costs that will permit flying whenever you wish, when your time becomes more available. Of course, if your favoured flights are IFR across continents, this won't work, but I've flown from Manchester to Marseilles in a £2500 microlight at 10lph and had a great time. There are lots of cheap safe aircraft out there; microlights and group A. Most of them, imho, more fun than a spamcan.

NB: You must enjoy tinkering.
rats404, Flyingfemme, nallen and 5 others liked this
By StratoTramp
Is there the possibility of friends taking you up? I know it's not piloting but it is still flying in a sense. Might be worth considering if this is enough for you.

I don't know family situation, but you can't take your money with you. Yours to spend. Though 2.5k for 3 hours does seem a bit steep!

I'm going mad at the moment 1 flight in 11 weeks, was hoping for a lesson tomorrow but just found out plane unserviceable now.

Tempted to book another experience flight at this rate. :lol:
Unless I knew for sure that it would be a financial burden that I couldn't shoulder post-retirement, I would hang in there and see how I felt two years from now with a whole summer and autumn of retirement behind me.

We can never really know what it will be like to be someone until we've tried it, you've never tried being a retired @rats404 with a shaeroplane, so you can't really know yet.
PeteSpencer, T6Harvard, StratoTramp and 5 others liked this
stevewarbs wrote:Don't give up with retirement round the corner. Get as much flying as you can in that first summer and then ask yourself the same question.

I think this is seriously good advice.
Retirement will not be how you think it will be. Right now you don't know what you will want to do/be able to do. This applies to other aspects of life as well as leisure activities. If you haven't already, it's worth doing a bit of reading or even looking at on line retirement preparation courses.
My bet is that you could well find the next few years will be some of the finest in your flying career. I very much like @Big Dex suggestion of considering changing the way you enjoy flying - with more time available the world is your oyster.
Retirement is a time of great opportunity! (We need a different word for it really).
T6Harvard, Smaragd, Nick and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
If you can tough it out for another 18 months, as others have said, make the decision after that.

Personally I'd imagine selling a share in an aeroplane is like stepping off the property ladder - danged hard to get back on it again, and with the same ensuing worries about surveys, and lemons, and new neighbours in the syndicate.

Flying this year or not, the fees are a down payment on the retirement flying :mrgreen:

(@StratoTramp , if your flying is as rusty as mine was after 4 weeks away gawd help you. I'm still reliving my first lesson after the break and wondering why I persist :oops: )
StratoTramp liked this
By T6Harvard
@lobstaboy , indeed we could have a different word for retirement but don't let the Government know how much fun it is (speaking as an early 'semi-retired' person), they'll make us all work longer :thumright:

I have a friend who works in the financial industry and he refers to the glorious early years of retirement as Q3, which seems to fit nicely.
lobstaboy liked this
Get a good year's flying in now to get value for money out of what you've already paid out for your share. Then get another good year in when you retire. Get a job in B&Q or something and earmark that money for your flying fund!

Why do you think you'll be lucky to get 10 hours in? Money? Or time? Come along on one of the Glenforsa trips, that could be 8 hours in one weekend!
T6Harvard, Grelly, Straight Level and 1 others liked this
By Lefty
Speaking personally, I’m retired and I couldn’t imagine life without flying. I hope to be able to keep flying right up till I can’t pass the medical - and even then I hope to continue flying right up to the very last.

I’m quite expecting that finances will eventually force me to sell my gas guzzler and switch to a cheaper form of flying.

I would prefer to still be in work, partly for the stimulus of work - and partly to fund my flying. After retirement, I carried on a mix of part time work and part time flying instruction (CRI) right up to the first COVID lockdown which ended my part time consulting work. I’ve been lucky to keep doing my CRI instructing work. However there is no money in instructing, so If this Covid thing permits, I would really love to find a 2-3 day per week part time job.

My wife on the other hand, had assumed that I would retire and just potter around, fettling the house and garden. But that was never going to be me.

So I would say “ keep flying until you can’t”.
Danny, Sooty25, lobstaboy and 3 others liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:Remind me what retirement is again ?

It's that bit at the end where you sit around all day in a wooly shawl listening to Vera Lynn and eating tinned ravioli (my MiL's fave, RIP).
Not nice. In order to delay that stage as long as possible, experts recommend having lots to do involving mental stimulation, being outdoors, having friends etc.
Owning an aeroplane would fit the bill..
terryws, T6Harvard, Grelly and 2 others liked this