Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
First retirements are always just a career change in disguise anyway. I’m on my second retirement and for some insane reason I’m using it to get fully qualified to start my third career. I’m sure I may have another retirement in me some day but I’m sure that will be forced on me by lack of life, not lack of money.
Harleyatrix liked this
Lefty has got it right.
Keep flying until you fail your medical and your bi-annual reveals that you"ve lost it.
I retired 27 years ago and have continued to fly since. Flying keeps your brain working--some natural culling.
In addition to flying-i"m the the group admin man--that takes up a fair amount of time--help with fuelling club aircraft , go to french classes, walk or swim every day.-plus xwords-- U3A member
I also visited company pensioners--most a lot younger than
me--they often deteriorated quickly as they had no hobbies or other interests.
Have targets every year--could be to do with flying.
My main aim is to be the oldest active PPL--only problem is that you won"t hold the title for long.
According to CAA stats there are around 3 PPLS over 90-why not be one of them,?
T6Harvard, IFly172, Harleyatrix and 2 others liked this
@rats404, it's all been said really. Maybe a different perspective on money. It's a tool, its use being to provide something you want. There is no rule that it should be justified in terms of value for money.

From your post it appears a) you can afford the cost and, b) you want to continue to fly.

If that is the case having up your headset solely on the basis of a short term high hourly late may be a regret. 10 years (flying) retirement at 50 hrs per year and it only adds a fiver an hour. :wink:

If you consider £2500 in terms of your overall lifetime's spending rather than focussing on so many hours flying it gives a different perspective.

Or, consider if you had to spend it on house maintenance (or syndicate cash call), most would moan a little, buy the new boiler and move on without another thought. :wink:

Crucially you can't take it with you and if you leave it for others they are unlikely to prioritise value for money. :D
Retirement widened my flying options totally: no more binding on call rotas restricting flying to weekends and annual leave - I could suddenly fly on Tuesdays !

Like ROG says I intend to fly till I either fail my medical or my biennial examiner says knock it off. :wink:
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FWIW I worked for a while after my planned retirement date (I was going to go at 60 but kept at it till 62 and a half) purely in order to build up a dedicated pot which I have labelled "my retirement flying fund."

I keep it separate from the family finances, and I have no guilt at all about spending this on my flying, whilst I still get a kick out of it. When it runs out, I will have to reconsider.
T6Harvard liked this
There are probably a lot of GA pilots that were in the same boat during the pandemic.

Some dont fly a lot anyway and just about cover the hours to reval SEP by experience.

Some have learned not to leave that to the last minute.
Get it done early, or risk the similar hassle of queues for a slot with increased demand on bookings, queue for an instructor, queue for an examiner to be able to get back into flying when you want to rather than when it fits in with all of those third parties.
The weather, aircraft maintenance and parts availability can also play their part in delaying things. So can third party isolation due to covid.

Piloting an aircraft helps keeps us active - the brain, memory (long term memory, short term memory, muscle memory), the hand-eye-feet coordination, balance.
Not many people to catch covid from when in the sky compared with walking around a supermarket or hospitality venue.

If been flying the same aircaft for many years and dont fly anything else, try an aircraft or kind of flying that is completely different. It can be more fun than might think. Variety stimulates the brain.

Enjoy the freedom. Appreciate the freedom.

Remember the great days you have had flying that are not accessible to millions of people.
Its great for mental health particularly in hard times for many in a pandemic.
T6Harvard liked this
There is a Thruster Sprint sitting in the hangar at Wick crying out for a new owner (not flown in years). And an AX 2000 with a brand new Rotax 582 in it, not even had its first run, sitting along side it for the same amount of time.
An alternative - build a simple 3-axis SSDR at home, if you have the space, to keep your interest alive !
If you can afford it keep flying.
Many moons ago I raced cars and with retirement approaching it seemed that was the way to go. But the whole point of racing is to be competitive and that's seriously expensive.
I wanted to challenge my mind and coordination skills.
I took flying lessons when I retired at 67 and that was 9 years ago. I can't imagine any other activity that would have kept me so engaged, active and sharp.
Averaging 45 hrs p a until Covid I relish every minute. It's not just the flying hours it's the upgrading your skills, planning sorties and trips and flying with a mate.
Unless you have something else that you are seriously enthused about I would keep flying.
Dave W, T6Harvard, Dodo and 2 others liked this
Thanks to all for the excellent and considered advice. I think it gave me the kick up the a*se needed to grow a pair and get back into things. I'll try to do as much as I can this year, and reevaluate.

I love aviation and have since I was an ankle biter, so actually when I've considered your responses, it was all about the money. If I had no concerns about that, I'd be at the airfield every day. The thought of maybe moving to something simpler and cheaper when I retire had never occured to me - food for thought.

Again, sincere thanks to all.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rats404 wrote:Thanks to all for the excellent and considered advice. I think it gave me the kick up the a*se needed to grow a pair and get back into things. I'll try to do as much as I can this year, and reevaluate.

I love aviation and have since I was an ankle biter, so actually when I've considered your responses, it was all about the money. If I had no concerns about that, I'd be at the airfield every day. The thought of maybe moving to something simpler and cheaper when I retire had never occured to me - food for thought.

Again, sincere thanks to all.

:thumleft: :mrgreen: