Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@rats404
Another suggestion is to get involved in fly-outs and other events from your local airfield. You’ll find it gives you more purpose and motivation for your flying.

At Waltham we have a Flyout every Friday afternoon and every Saturday all year round (subject to weather). There are also other regular fly outs organised by a few of the syndicates - and everyone is free to tag along. Ask around at your local airfield, I’d be surprised if there aren’t any.
mick w, Rob P liked this
By Dave W
Also, Flyer has plans for several events this year AIUI.

If you can get along to one of those, and I'm there, you are very welcome to a trip and a chat about group ownership etc.
rats404 wrote:... I've spent over £2500 for three hours in the air over the last two and a half years.

put my share up for sale and accept that my flying days are over.

Reading your post you may be linking your selling your share with giving up flying but those two are not directly linked are they - is that link because you place a great deal of personal value in having a share in that particular airplane, or are there lack of places to rent nearby for you.

In terms of giving up flying of your own decision why do that ?

While not ideal, the practicalities of the situation may be you can fly less hours per year than you may wish, however you are still flying .

Many folk never get to own a share but keep flying well into their mature years through rentals; for less hours per year renting makes good sense over share ownership.

You trained and worked hard to gain the priveledge to fly, just tick over and dont give up the rare priveledge you have earned unless that decision isnt yours to make

(e.g Losing ones medical for the long term health reasons is a potential reason to hang it up but reading some of the stories some are determined to come back even from that or predicting you cannot financially afford to keep current for the forseable are reasons )

if the share doesnt make financial sense for you, sell that and rent a while if you can, just keep your SEP license endorsed biannually
T6Harvard liked this
I've thought about this as I attained the '3 score years and 10' last year and, when I hope to start flying again in March I'll have not flown my LAA aircraft or my glider for 2 full years. Both have been consuming money in hangarage and insurance during that time and it would be much too easy just to kick back, cut losses and find a pair of comfy slippers.

No bl00dy chance!

I've held a PPL since 1968 and over all the years flying has introduced me to places, people and experiences that last a lifetime. I don't intend to 'hang up my headset' until I cannot maintain a medical of any sort (current class 2) or until a one of my close friends , all of whom are instructors and I trust completely, takes me aside to discuss my flying standard.
That's the day I'll pack it in
The next day I'll go and buy a boat!

IC

ps. my only concern is that if I am lucky enough to join the over 90s flyers in 20 years time, will I be able to get insurance?

pps. Traditionally anything after 3 score and 10 is a bonus - just bl00dy well get on with it! :thumright:
T6Harvard, Flyingfemme, Nick and 2 others liked this
If a pilot cant get insurance due to age, then fly with someone that is qualified and insured for the aircraft. The other person will always be the P1. If they are an instructor then the "too old for insurance" person could log dual otherwise they log nothing.
Seems reasonable as there is no rule that I am aware of that says a member/shareholder of an aircraft syndicate/group has to be a pilot in order to enjoy flying in the aircraft (although the assumption is that only pilots are interested in joining a syndicate/group).

Similarly for school/club rentals - someone else is the P1.

"Pilot becomes too old for insurance" was probably not considered for "common purpose" for the recent CAA cost-sharing consultation.
By MichaelP
Year of the Tiger begins with February... Maybe it’ll be better for all of us.
This Covid business is the worst thing for all of us, put a smile on your face, but there’s still the fact that energy in life and aviation is low.
In better times the excitement carries people along, in these times it’s too serious.

Thinking yesterday; in the past if the weather permitted, I’d be in an aeroplane and off to do some business, pick up some parts, or look at another aeroplane. Aviation was active for me and easy, but hard too. The hard was the work behind what I achieved, but this too was ‘easy’ for the results it produced.
I was asked to look into an aeroplane purchase, this sort of thing gets me excited, but alas I’ve been lead up a garden path again...

All plans for the past two years have come to nothing.
I can imagine doing without flying.
If I live in Chiang Mai, this would be somewhat okay, though in Thailand there’s many who seek me out to fly.
England is a disappointment at times though it is improving for me.

I got my fix in Canada last year, flying the Chipmunk which had been grounded a year due to me being grounded here. I flew other things too.
There’s not been the demand for me here in England that there is in BC.

Retirement is poverty, I have helped many into good careers as pilots, but I did not do well financially myself.

Dual checks and their costs, attitudes in flying clubs, rules, all have had their effects on me.
Being told by a CFI that I can’t fly the Super Cub if the crosswind exceeds five knots means I wasted a check out in that aeroplane...
Yet I turn around and do the one hour with an instructor (CRI) in different aeroplanes where the benefit of my experience comes to the fore. I flew in a J3, a Tiger Moth, and an EV97, and introduced something new, and something un practiced. I’m a CRI with a bit of experience.

I’ve checked out on Redhill’s Super Cub. I’ve landed it smoothly on the hard taxyway runway with a crosswind in excess of that five knots... Now I can fly again, when I have a few bob.

If flying is in your blood you have to get through this difficult period, “This too will pass”, and do what it takes to maintain your health.
The mind controls health, a healthy mind can prevent some illness. Depression can cause illness.
Flying aeroplanes promotes a healthy mind, it’s an investment in health.

I used to be concerned about the people who would come to me to get their five hours in 13 months done to get their stamp in the logbook... ‘Thought that five hours, or even an hour a month should not be too difficult to get. But now I see the problem myself.

Insurance:
Looking at purchasing an aeroplane I went on to Visicover. I note that pilots who are 74 and older have to be named on the insurance, and no doubt there’s additional cost.
Tompty--have you thought of flying under tower bridge as a last flight.
Last done-I believe in 1968 by alan pollock(RAF) as a protest about non celebration of RAF 50 years. After he circled the house of parliament he "did" tower bridge. Subsequently left the service on "medical grounds".
Sadly he died in 2019 aged 76.
By ozplane
I'm 81 and have been having a bit of a think about this over the winter. I'm still pretty fit but I guess I have to be realistic that my reactions may be slowing down a bit. So I've decided to do a bit of a "risk assessment" (Oh no!) and scale down some of my parameters for going flying. I'll stick to Class G airspace, only go if the viz and cloudbase are above 8km and 1500 feet which I can check by looking at the local radio mast. Crosswind not above 10 knots. Try to only have 2 frequencies en route as the memory on my radio is not easy to access and I don't want to be looking down as I fly. And finally make sure Sky Demon is up to date and the half mil is handy in case war breaks out and the USA shuts down their satellites. It might seem a bit limiting but I went flying yesterday and really enjoyed it. BTW I haven't had any problems (yet) in getting insured on the Wonderplane but I have been flying for 52 years so I do have a track record of sorts.
JAFO, Shoestring Flyer, patowalker and 4 others liked this