Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
pullup wrote:Why doesn’t that train show any signs of braking? I can’t see it slowing down or hear any screeching of brakes at all.

US trains can be over a mile long and take over a mile to stop. From the sounds and images shown, it looks like the train only saw the obstruction mere seconds before the collision.

The news seems focused on the aircraft and survivor. I haven't seen anything about the train or its driver. I imagine he at least filled his nappy (ok diaper)
By Iceman
Grelly wrote:The news seems focused on the aircraft and survivor. I haven't seen anything about the train or its driver. I imagine he at least filled his nappy (ok diaper)

Indeed, the train driver might expect to hit a car or truck, or even another train, but hitting an aircraft must come as bit of a shock :shock:. It looks like the train right side front window is in the process of shattering.

Iceman 8)
Grelly liked this
By Flintstone
What? Two pages and nobody has posted this? :roll:

METAR: KLAX 101053Z 02005KT 10SM FEW200 SCT250 14/M05 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP240 T01391050

TAF: KLAX 100521Z 1106/1212 04007KT P6SM SCT200 FM112100 27008KT P6SM SKC FM120300 VRB03KT P6SM SKC
Lockhaven, MikeB liked this
By Ibra
Bill McCarthy wrote:A train a quarter mile long carrying maybe 3000 tons of freight takes a fair bit of stopping.
There are plenty of “tube” vids of trains ploughing through 40ft lorries etc.

My guess it's about 10km-15km for most heavy trains with normal breaking, I think TGV emergency breaking during their testing with empty weight did come up with 4km (a friend of mine was doing his PhD thesis on 3D crack propagation in wheelsets while I was doing the same kind of research for jet engine fans, he had load of wheelset collections in his lab :D )

No idea about US Amtrak but I think you need super CAVOK VMC with +10km visibility to apply "see & avoid" between aeroplanes & trains...there are few examples of trains that crashed in stations when the crew forget to slow down before getting near or funnily in an effort to make up few lost minutes in the last 10min, so simple sight is not enough

Japan bullet train tracks should be in the ranks of Prohibited Area on VFR maps !
By Flintstone
Lockhaven wrote:I am surprised there wasn't an explosion or had the aircraft run out of fuel.

A report said it crashed after take off. Mind you it probably also described the aircraft as a jet............
By Iceman
Flintstone wrote:What? Two pages and nobody has posted this? :roll:

METAR: KLAX 101053Z 02005KT 10SM FEW200 SCT250 14/M05 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP240 T01391050

TAF: KLAX 100521Z 1106/1212 04007KT P6SM SCT200 FM112100 27008KT P6SM SKC FM120300 VRB03KT P6SM SKC

With a METAR and TAF like that, I reckon he must have been IFR - ‘I Follow Railroads’ :D.

Iceman 8)
By skydriller
Grelly wrote:pullup wrote:
Why doesn’t that train show any signs of braking? I can’t see it slowing down or hear any screeching of brakes at all.

US trains can be over a mile long and take over a mile to stop.

The one in the video of the crash is obviously a comuter train and only 3-4 carriges long.

Flintstone wrote:What? Two pages and nobody has posted this? :roll

The video of the crash also shows bright blue sky with good viz.

Just sayin'... :wink:

Regards, SD..
By Ibra
Iceman wrote:‘I Follow Railroads’

Used to love that kind of flying in the Cub while train people wave from their window, less tempted now and will give it a good distance :roll:
By Flintstone
skydriller wrote:The video of the crash also shows bright blue sky with good viz.

Just sayin'... :wink:

Regards, SD..

Shhhhhhhhh. :wink:
By Hooligan
Maxthelion wrote:I used to enjoy a spot of train racing back when i had the Luscombe. Now I fly an RV I'll have to wait until HS2 gets going before I have any competition again.

The section under the Chilterns should be interesting! :D