Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BBC 6 oclock news showed footage from a different point of view perhaps from a cops body camera of an old boy bleeding heavily from the forehead being dragged from the aeroplane less that 20 seconds before the train hit.
By PeteSpencer
Iceman wrote:@PeteSpencer, that video is shown in Nero’s post above.

Iceman 8)

Yep, that's the one:
Kinda lucky the train stayed on the tracks: there was a whole queue of stationary traffic on the road alongside the track.
By Dave W
"Train! Train! Whoop, Whoop, Pull Up! Pull Up!"

(I'm disappointed in you lot; you'd normally have got to that joke well before me. ;))
Flintstone, Hooligan, Jonzarno and 3 others liked this
By pullup
Why doesn’t that train show any signs of braking? I can’t see it slowing down or hear any screeching of brakes at all.

I have been on trains which have come to a sudden stop. Maybe not as fast as this one but there seems to be no effort at avoiding the collision except the horn!
By patowalker
Effective June 24, 2005, the rule requires that locomotive horns be sounded at all public grade crossings at least 15 seconds, but not more than 20 seconds before entering a crossing.[6] This rule applies when the train speed is below 45 mph (70 km/h). At 45 mph or above, trains are still required to sound their horn at the designated location (usually denoted with a whistle post).

I find it a pleasant sound, when heard at night from a distance.
A train a quarter mile long carrying maybe 3000 tons of freight takes a fair bit of stopping.
There are plenty of “tube” vids of trains ploughing through 40ft lorries etc.