Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
Hooligan wrote:
Maxthelion wrote:..I'll have to wait until HS2 gets going before I have any competition again.

The section under the Chilterns should be interesting! :D

From the era of RAF/RCAF aircrew training in the Canadian prairies under the BCATP during WW2, there are tales of night D/R navigation exercises. On some legs of some routes there was a long straight railway track in otherwise featureless terrain, and it was easy to follow it on all but moonless nights, and tempting to do so at low level if there were scattered clouds. But sometimes the track went into a long tunnel, .. :?
By pullup
Maxthelion wrote:I used to enjoy a spot of train racing back when i had the Luscombe. Now I fly an RV I'll have to wait until HS2 gets going before I have any competition again.

I remember following a train along that straight railway line from Ashford to Redhill one windy day.

The train was going faster than us as we were in a Cub.

And it was stopping at all the stations!
mick w, T6Harvard, kanga liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Interesting. As has been said no explosion or fuel pishing everywhere (it might have run out) but the thing that arouses my slight suspicion is the whole area is taped out with orange or yellow tape which indicated they had been there some time.
Can we be sure this wasn’t staged?
By -DV8R-
I have flashbacks of my favorite childhood movie (part 3 no less) where the time machine was destroyed by a train at Clayton Ravine. Ruthless... Glad nobody got killed today...
Happy Landings! Best wishes for 2022.
By skydriller
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Interesting. As has been said no explosion or fuel pishing everywhere (it might have run out) but the thing that arouses my slight suspicion is the whole area is taped out with orange or yellow tape which indicated they had been there some time.

AIUI, uaually energency services do not move a crash victim (car aeroplane bike etc) until proper gear is available to do so in case they do more damage to the victim - unless there is external danger. So I suspect they were waiting and securing the scene, but then a train came and they had to hussle to get the guy out and clear...
Flintstone wrote:What? Two pages and nobody has posted this? :roll:

METAR: KLAX 101053Z 02005KT 10SM FEW200 SCT250 14/M05 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP240 T01391050

TAF: KLAX 100521Z 1106/1212 04007KT P6SM SCT200 FM112100 27008KT P6SM SKC FM120300 VRB03KT P6SM SKC

:lol: :lol: This isnt Pprune!!

SD
Flintstone liked this
By PeteSpencer
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Interesting. As has been said no explosion or fuel pishing everywhere (it might have run out) but the thing that arouses my slight suspicion is the whole area is taped out with orange or yellow tape which indicated they had been there some time.

Yeah, right: Fuel leak clearly visible in excellent 'mockup' video made by local resident pilot.
What a dozy suggestion. :roll:
By Cardinal Sin

The police video appears to have fuel pouring out of the port wing
By Lefty
A friend of mine has his a/c based at the same airport as the accident aircraft. The wreckage has been moved back to the airport where the chatter from the NTSB seems to be focussed the fuel. Apparently the a/c hadn’t flown since it’s annual in Mar 21 and the suspicions are focused on either the fuel being too stale - or water / other contamination. The 79 year pilot reputedly hadn’t flown for a similar period.
By Paul_Sengupta
Not speculating on this particular case, but I've seen a lot of perished seals on fuel tank caps in California and Florida which let in water whenever it rains.

Did this aeroplane live outside?