Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TopCat wrote:Er, what are these? Are they materially different from the GASCO safety evenings?

They are complementary to the GASCO evenings and help with strategies for remaining safe as well as how to recognise the symptoms before things go wrong. Very useful day, often topped off with an equally useful curry.

Have a look at Paultheparaglider's pertinent post here, and subsequent replies.
By TopCat
Dave W wrote:
TopCat wrote:Er, what are these? Are they materially different from the GASCO safety evenings?

They are complementary to the GASCO evenings and help with strategies for remaining safe as well as how to recognise the symptoms before things go wrong. Very useful day, often topped off with an equally useful curry.

Ok, thank you.

So to summarise:

.... rather than someone droning on interminably, alternating between showing videos we've all seen loads of times before, stating the bleedin' obvious, and telling us not to infringe....

... it's real people, telling real stories about how they've actually cocked up, and narrowly missed Something Bad happening, in order to share the experience with others so that they can avoid doing the same damn fool thing themselves?

Is that right? With curry at the end?

If so, it sounds pretty good. I have a couple I could contribute.

ETA: Farnborough would be an Ok venue for me. I could get the train home after the obligatory beers with the curry. Be warned though, I tend to get a little mouthy after a few beers. Not quite my usual restrained, polite, hesitant self.
Last edited by TopCat on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rohmer, Dave W, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By kanga
Nick wrote:@kanga Would JAM have a suitable meeting room or area that could be used for such a gathering? 2 birds could be killed with one stone, so to speak! :thumright:

Nick

Not at the moment, sorry :(

When we have accumulated enough money to complete the internal building in the 2nd, restoration, hangar (attached to the 1st, display, hangar), we hope to have included an 'education room'. At the moment it's 'work in progress', with nearly all the floorspace already taken up with restoration projects. The North end, with access to the display hangar, will (we hope) eventually include art displays, and stairs to a mezzanine incorporating such a room and a viewing gallery allowing visitors to see (in safety) the projects below.

As ever, we rely entirely on donations and on cafe/shop sales. Reduced footfall over last 2 years has inevitably hit both. It took ~30 years to raise enough to pay for the construction (external and internal) of the 1st hangar; and then ~5 further years to pay for the shell of the 2nd which was encouraging, but the completion of the interior of the 2nd has a long way to go. With all the machinery and tools, both fire/safety precautions and insurance (a rising cost anyway) are quite a lot more costly than with the first. Incidentally, nearly all the permissible work has been done by our own volunteers. To get all the collection under cover, as we'd like, we'll need a 3rd, for which there should be room within the curtilage agreed by the airport.

Please visit
Nick liked this
By Rob L

Yes, TopCat, these are very materially different. I'll let Flintstone explain properly as he sees fit, but it's about how commercial piloting crew resource management can apply to a private pilot.
By PeteSpencer
TopCat wrote:
Dave W wrote:

Ok, thank you.

So to summarise:

.... rather than someone droning on interminably, alternating between showing videos we've all seen loads of times before, stating the bleedin' obvious, and telling us not to infringe....

... it's real people, telling real stories about how they've actually cocked up, and narrowly missed Something Bad happening, in order to share the experience with others so that they can avoid doing the same damn fool thing themselves?

Is that right? With curry at the end?

If so, it sounds pretty good. I have a couple I could contribute.

ETA: Farnborough would be an Ok venue for me. I could get the train home after the obligatory beers with the curry. Be warned though, I tend to get a little mouthy after a few beers. Not quite my usual restrained, polite, hesitant self.

Yep Summed up nicely: Flint's presentation skills are honed to perfection and his interaction with his audiences occas coaxes stuff out that could otherwise have 'stayed in Rome'.

The last one I went to was marred only by the distance i had to drive back to Suffolk stone cold sober after a great curry evening.
Now it there's a handy Premier inn nearby, my cup truly runneth over.............
I need to get a leetle rat-housed from time to time :lol:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Iceman
@PeteSpencer, there is reasonable accommodation nearby in Farnborough and the surrounds. I seem to recall Flintstone getting me a room at the Aviator at ‘company rates’, but that’s not exactly on the cheaper end of the scale.

Iceman 8)
By TheFarmer
If there’s curry & beer, and an overnight hotel, I’ll come.

If there’s not, I’ll let my space go to someone who enjoys jigsaws and timelapse videos of Venus flytraps.
By Dave W
The Ely near Blackbushe airfield or the Days Inn at Fleet Services South* have both been cheap 'n' cheerful nightstops within affordable taxi** distance for me when in the Farnborough area in years gone by.

And it reduces the chances of being caught by someone saying "I've gorra grea' idee - let's have a cock'ail ni'cap. <Hic>" when walking through the lobby of The Aviator. ££ but worth it at the time. :D

*Come on, Highways England - that darned motorway runs East/West there, for Heaven's sake.

** Well, Iceman's MX5 counts, on at least one occasion. :thumleft:
Iceman liked this
By Flintstone
TopCat (and others who've not attended before).

There's a lengthy official definition of Crew Resource Management which I do my best to avoid but it boils down to:

Don't be a plonker.
Fess up if you act like one so that others may learn.
No pointing and laughing. Well.................
Be nice to people and they'll be nice to you.
Understand why we are sometimes plonkers.

The phrase 'Just Culture' is a part of it, genuine mistakes are not to be punished which thus encourages us to speak out.

It really is mainly stuff we all know but sometimes need a jog to realise or remember.

There'll be no crash/burn/die videos as they're too depressing, I'm sure we can come up with far more useful stories from our own experiences. Otherwise just make something up.

There will be no Lego or manufacturing bridges from drinking straws across croc-infested carpet.

By all means read the CAA syllabus, we'll ignore much of it. :D As you can imagine there's a fair chunk in there about multi-crew ops which at first sight might seem irrelevant but I've just read comments on here from people who suffered 'helpful' switch flickers. We've all done that at some time so it's not too far a stretch to see how some of that might be of use to us, not all of it though.

The (official) recurrent courses cycle through focus points each year, often to reflect something that's happened recently. Mental health and wellbeing figures large at the moment.

'Other business'. Pretty much anything else attendees want to talk about.
Smaragd, ChampChump liked this
By Flintstone
Gloucester seems to be a popular choice if we can find a venue, can any of the locals suggest anything?

Farnborough, I'm making enquiries.

Anywhere else?