Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:it has belatedly :oops: occurred to me that you can get a Bowman on a (UK military) helicopter :wink:

Apache Longbow...

Stop me if I've told you this one before (I have).

For a short period after Apache was selected as the winner of the UK Attack Helicopter competition, it as unclear whether it was actually going to be called the 'Apache' in UK Service.

And so there was some wild informed speculation in the circles I frequented as to, if not Apache, what it might otherwise be named.

My suggestion was it should be a truly English name, reflect the 'Longbow' heritage of the US aircraft, and be appropriately representative of National history as well as suitable for deployment alongside our European partners.

Nobody listens to me, though. I still reckon the 'Agincourt AH Mk.1' would have been a great name.

PS Whilst I'm on... BOWMAN was held by some to stand for 'Better Off With Map And Nokia")
kanga liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:My suggestion was it should be a truly English name…I still reckon the 'Agincourt AH Mk.1' would have been a great name.

I could have sworn Agincourt was in France... :lol: