Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I did catch a bit of the Italian Job in passing the other day.

Where they pushed a DB5 and E type off a cliff.

You could argue this chap is also just making a film to make money.

I suppose it’s the pretence that it’s not a planned stunt that’s the problem for me.

I think he can get off easily by just showing the FAA his planning of the stunt, as long as he planned it, he’s fine.

Doesn’t matter what he subsequently wrote on the video, 94% of YouTube is made up.
Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this, it upsets me more that our anger is directed at the 'content creator' (isn't that what the YT audience call it?!).

Surely it is more saddening that there is clearly a broad demand from - at least - hundreds of thousands of people, to watch this sort of wanton destruction?

Do we really live in a world where videos of people destroying aircraft, pushing random objects through shredders and putting iPhones into blenders are actually genuine forms of entertainment?

-https://www.youtube.com/willitblend/videos
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEPVGWtMKyQ
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9BtYEnrkg4

What a time to be alive.
StratoTramp, Cessna571 liked this
flyingearly wrote:..it upsets me more that our anger is directed at the 'content creator' ..

Surely it is more saddening that there is clearly a broad demand from - at least - hundreds of thousands of people, to watch this sort of wanton destruction?

What a time to be alive.

much bloodier 'entertainment' has been popular throughout history. The Romans created special arenas to accomodate it, including in Britain; while, more recently, it was possible to take a steam underground train to watch the last public execution in London :(

Differences, now, include both that (in UK at least) such vicarious destruction is of things rather than people or (usually) creatures (progress ?), and that the 'spectators' may be in their homes using a remote device rather than at the event (regress ?).
G-BLEW, nallen, Cowshed and 1 others liked this
kanga wrote:... it was possible to take a steam underground train to watch the last public execution in London :(

Now that is a fun fact well worth remembering for the next dinner party I go to (though heaven knows when that will be...).
Rob L wrote:
SteveX wrote:I cant stop laughing at this, the previous video where some bloke trashes a Cub and burns it, and the reactions on here. Brilliantly done, greatly entertaining, far too few and far between these laughs, good on em those that can get their hands on ancient cloth and tube 80kt pointless aircraft and destroy them for the entertainment of others. I'm struggling to see what harm was done here, I can't see a forest fire? As long as he removed the wreckage then fine.

You're a tw@, SteveX. We know you're not a pilot by your own admission, so you wouldn't understand FAA rules about endangerment and recklessness.

Thank you. CPL/IR and extensive flying around continental Europe where I am mainly based.
SteveX wrote:
Rob L wrote:
SteveX wrote:I cant stop laughing at this, the previous video where some bloke trashes a Cub and burns it, and the reactions on here. Brilliantly done, greatly entertaining, far too few and far between these laughs, good on em those that can get their hands on ancient cloth and tube 80kt pointless aircraft and destroy them for the entertainment of others. I'm struggling to see what harm was done here, I can't see a forest fire? As long as he removed the wreckage then fine.

You're a tw@, SteveX. We know you're not a pilot by your own admission, so you wouldn't understand FAA rules about endangerment and recklessness.

Thank you. CPL/IR and extensive flying around continental Europe where I am mainly based.

My error and I offer my apologies; I must have confused you with another.
Rob L
TheFarmer, Hooligan liked this