Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By deltacharlie
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Hi all

We'd like your help and suggestions with an initiative for 2022 which we're calling Fly2022: A Challenge for the FLYER community

The idea is simple: a target of flying time for 2022 of... 2022 minutes. That’s 33 hours 42 mins which is a modest target for some and a not-impossible-but-a-stretch for others.

To help inspire pilots to go for this target, we’re coming up with a bunch of ideas to incorporate into their flying in 2022 including (but not exclusively):

Places to go:
[list]Destination airfields like Le Touquet, Duxford, Old Warden
Where to have lunch
Where to spend a weekend
Skills to learn - All of the usual training add-ons
Experiences to share - could be strip flying, tailwheel, floats, etc.
Events & fly-ins
Equipment and accessories which could improve enjoyment such as action cameras (GoPro, Garmin Virb etc) - more suggestions welcome.
Buy an aircraft - share or outright.

We'd appreciate all your input, either here on this thread or by email to me: dave.calderwood@seager.aero

BTW, there will be prizes!
mick w, hjoy, G-BLEW and 7 others liked this
By hjoy
A brilliant Idea.

I think it is a good number for ( a lot) of people to aim at.

For me IMC/IR(R) should account for at least 15 hours of this.

Other goals include Scotland , France and/or Ireland if the situation allows

My first overnight trip last summer, with a recently purchased share was York races. Landed at Elvington, which I could not recommend more, landing and 2 nights parking was £45 and included "handling" if you count being whisked to the entrance in a Hilux. Leeds East is also well situated for this. The 4 hour drive each way being reduced to just over an hour in the plane went down very well with girlfriend and her friend!

I really enjoyed using the plane for something other than a £200 bacon sandwich ($100 hamburger is so last century). Certainly want to do more.
T6Harvard, deltacharlie, GeorgeJLA and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
deltacharlie wrote:To help inspire pilots to go for this target, we’re coming up with a bunch of ideas to incorporate into their flying in 2022 including (but not exclusively):

Places to go:

African Eagle's Raduno

viewtopic.php?f=66&p=1891697#p1891697

Rob P
Flyingfemme, G-BLEW, Iceman and 1 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:A Flyer Forum Students fly in :mrgreen:
with prizes for the ever-helpful mentors!

I have a feeling of nostalgia coupled with the thought of growing older. We've had plenty of student fly-ins over the years, and it's nice to look back and remember some of the students of old who are now the instructors, the professional pilots, the experienced mentors and just the regular pilots.

It's happened to me a couple of times where I've flown with an instructor for whom I was a mentor when they were new! And I'm only a youngster compared with many on this forum. ;-)
G-BLEW, T6Harvard, WelshRichy and 4 others liked this
By WelshRichy
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It's happened to me a couple of times where I've flown with an instructor for whom I was a mentor when they were new! And I'm only a youngster compared with many on this forum. ;-)

I've experience that a rather lot, one particularly was a teenager doing his PPL(A) and I was in my mid-twenties. Used to take him flying in the Beagle Pup including a fly-in at Duxford. Roll on seventeen years later and he is now a multi-thousand hour instructor and his first airline job was straight in on a B777 for Cathay Pacific (currently furloughed and instructing again). Makes me feel old.

Anyway back to the thread....

It has been eleven years since I have flown over 33 hours and 42 minutes, mainly down to the fact I had seven years off, renewed my SEP rating, then took nearly a year out to do my CPL exams and then lockdowns ensured. We moved house in October '20 and spent the majority of '21 renovating our bungalow including knocking down internal walls, I managed only 21:10 last year because of this.

This year though will be different.

Planning on quite a bit of flying before I start my FIC mid-march which in itself will probably account for more than 33:42 when you take the pre-entry and AOC into equation.

We're also going to take a trip to Glenforsa this year but its only an hour away from where we're based.

Would like to take a trip over to Northern Ireland this year and may just need to venture over to Donegal as the scenery looks beautiful.

Planning on some night flying within the next couple of weeks as its been sixteen years since I last flew at night, we just need a clear weather night when my instructor/mentor isn't flying his employers A320. :D
T6Harvard, deltacharlie liked this
By deltacharlie
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
There are some great ideas and personal tales here - thank you very much. There's been a great response to FLY2022 already - including one company offering £2,022 worth of free flying for one lucky person.

We're compiling the first article for the next issue so welcome all contributions to this challenge.

Cheers! Dave
dave.calderwood@seager.aero
G-BLEW, WelshRichy, Cookie and 1 others liked this
By flyingearly
deltacharlie wrote:To help inspire pilots to go for this target, we’re coming up with a bunch of ideas to incorporate into their flying in 2022 including (but not exclusively):

Places to go:
[list]Destination airfields like Le Touquet, Duxford, Old Warden
Where to have lunch
Where to spend a weekend
Skills to learn - All of the usual training add-ons
Experiences to share - could be strip flying, tailwheel, floats, etc.
Events & fly-ins
Equipment and accessories which could improve enjoyment such as action cameras (GoPro, Garmin Virb etc) - more suggestions welcome.
Buy an aircraft - share or outright.

A great idea and something I would love to participate in.

Can I suggest that - whatever the final list of suggestions is - a thread is created on here for the purpose of teaming up and finding mentors to support with them?

For example, I'd love to make my first channel crossing this year, but having never done it I'd really appreciate someone to join me and help give me a bit of confidence.

Ditto, I've never been to a fly-in....if there is a way of more experienced forumites offering to join less experienced members to help them tick off some of these, I'd jump at the chance (as I'm sure others would too).
JAFO, T6Harvard, Cessna571 and 3 others liked this
By Rob P
flyingearly wrote:Can I suggest that - whatever the final list of suggestions is - a thread is created on here for the purpose of teaming up and finding mentors to support with them?

You can. Feel free to do so.

This was going to be set up formally by FLYER so many years back that it was under the direction of Keef and Jim Dalton (from memory). Neither are with us any longer, luckily Jim for less sad reasons than Keef.

So mostly the mentorships are set up informally these days.

Cross Channel? Anyone who wants to buy me lunch at Restaurant Paris Plage has found their mentor.

Rob P
GeorgeJLA, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
deltacharlie wrote:There are some great ideas and personal tales here - thank you very much. There's been a great response to FLY2022 already - including one company offering £2,022 worth of free flying for one lucky person.

We're compiling the first article for the next issue so welcome all contributions to this challenge.

Cheers! Dave
dave.calderwood@seager.aero

And how does one stand a chance of taking up this offer? Is it first come, first served?? :mrgreen:
By Dominie
When I've got the undercarriage back on, I want to go to Scilly, Glenforsa, Solas and further in France than Le Touquet (been there 20 years ago four times and never went further!).
NB I did 33 hours and 20 minutes last year - that's exactly 2000 minutes, just 22 minutes short, so I reckon to do more in 2022.
T6Harvard, deltacharlie liked this
By Chipmunk Carol
DC
#Flyer2022
My article will be with you very shortly. It is complete and I am just letting the dust settle on the meaty metaphors and alluring alliteration so as to weed out the slimy gremlins that sneak into my passionate paragraphs.
Challenge on!
CD
deltacharlie liked this
By DB85
I like this idea, I'm a brand shiny new PPL with a big question of what to do next, all I know is Iove to fly. Not looking to go commercial so I'm not interested in plain hour building but help going to new places and continuing to learn is what I want. Something like this can really support that goal giving specific aims and measurables.

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk