Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MartinLeusby
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
End March report (won't be getting it dirty again until Saturday). A much better month including highlights like fying alongside the Flying Scotsman as it steamed through Kent! Now up to 1308 = 65% in only 3 months. Hope the snow doesn't get here!
T6Harvard, StratoTramp liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
AfricanEagle wrote:Another dawn patrol yesterday morning, knowing it would rain from today until next monday.

End March report is 899 minutes, 44% of target.

Good work!

Ian
By WelshRichy
End of March report.

Actual flying wise I am at 715 minutes (35% of the #FLY2022 challenge) with an additional hour in an FNPT simulator. I've had to work rather hard for quite a few of those minutes! :D

March saw a land away at Fife on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I also a sneaky early go from work one stunningly beautiful afternoon to practice some general handling over South Ayrshire. Passed the FI pre-entry test the following Monday and since then I've been in the classroom, aeroplane and an hour in the simulator.
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By WelshRichy
I had hoped to have broken through the 1,000 minute barrier by now but alas I am sitting at 55 minutes short with a total of 945 minutes so far this year (46.7%).

Latest was a trip to Oban and return this past Saturday. Gorgeous visibility/weather was had by all in Scotland, a little turbulent at lower levels but by late afternoon was a lot smoother for the return trip. I even managed to practice teaching (to myself) Effects of Controls Part 1 on the way up and Part 2 on the way back.

Flying planned for tomorrow after work and a couple of hours on Saturday both days in the Robin so should see a four figure number in terms of minutes by the end of the weekend as long as our weather holds.

And on Monday it is back to school for week three of my FI course and a lot of hard work to gain those #FLY2022 minutes. :D
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
Quick 55 minute biff about from Sackville to Overhead Fenland and back in the CT2K. Lovely evening for it.

Enjoying those -12° flaps. 15 knot boooooooost. :cyclopsani: :mrgreen:

Good landing too with traffic, balloons & a red kite about.

360 total. Hoping to start racking them up soon, obviously not entirely in my control given A. it's not my plane. B. I need to fit in with instructors & my schedules :lol:
Last edited by StratoTramp on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshRichy, T6Harvard liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
As my logbook was tootling along with the super variety of flying, which I treasure so much at our maintenance facility at Coventry, I only realised today, while updating some tech logs that I actually passed my 2022 minute total for this year towards the end of March. In fact, it was appropriately on a lovely day where I had earlier flown a post-annual check on a very nice Supercub to Bericote Farm (a wonderful strip next to the Avon near EGBE.) Landing back at Cov a few minutes later, our avionics engineer asked me to fly him in an Arrow with some autopilot issues he was investigating. We had hardly got back on the ground when my engineering partner Robert told me to jump in his car and he sped away to Shirley near Birmingham airport to a small strip in the centre of a Christmas tree farm, so I could get a C182T back to Cov just before EGBE shut at 1700. It was a nice way to pass the 2022 min mark, all of which has been on GA piston engines, some larger than others, but the headwinds have played their part this year, for instance a five hour leg back from Cannes in the C340 and another trip from Lee in a gale where the little C150 was making 38 knots over the ground! Overall, it's just been great to be flying normally post-covid restrictions and we're all looking forward to some fun summer works bbq's and local strip fly-ins. Who knows what's in store for Cov, but we'll keep flying and fiddling while the developer's plans falter and burn,.... hopefully.
Cheers AF :salut:
StratoTramp, UncleT, WelshRichy and 2 others liked this
By MartinLeusby
Not yet end April, but job done! :thumleft: Cracking month so far with Vintage Day at Compton Abbas then onto same at Bodmin despite snow sho wers (Rochester start, of course). VAC at Turweston, then obligatory pizza at Sandown plus some stinkingly difficult creeping line searches for Air Search yesterday - soon totalled up and I'm at 2058 with Bicester to come on Sunday. Guess 2 x 2022 is next target........
StratoTramp, UncleT, WelshRichy and 1 others liked this
By WelshRichy
Well done!

Looks like its going to be a great year for people getting lots of flying in after the past couple of years.

I'll update mine and I am now at 75% with 1,525 minutes this year so far. Broken down to 12 hours P1 and just under 13.5 hours Dual. Last Friday I finally got my checkout on the Robin since its returned from an extended annual and the following day it was so nice to have two hours flying all the way around Mull. Unfortunately I didn't have time to drop into Glenforsa but will be soon with my wife for a nice luncheon.

Looking at my totals this is the most flying I've done since 2010 when I managed a tad over thirty hours. My logbook filled up a little quicker each year before 2010.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
As I don't really want to be the one who clocks up the 2022 minutes entirely in the circuit (and believe me that seems possible!), I am just wondering if I can achieve a fun 22 different aeroplanes in my logbook this year.....

So far I've had stick time in
3 school aircraft (which may be seen as cheating :mrgreen: ),
a Grumman AA5,
an ASK21 glider,
a Taylorcraft,
a Hercules C130 full-motion sim,
and I've got my eye on a lesson in a Tiger Moth at Duxford.

Hmm, over a third of the way there, plenty more to go.

I'm still a student, albeit a very old one, so I can't just get a checkout and rent something, it therefore needs some further thought but it's got to be worth considering.
StratoTramp, WelshRichy liked this
By stuart.morris
I’ve only got 3.3 hours to go to reach 2022 minutes. Based at Blackbushe and looking for something really interesting to do in that 2022nd minute. Anyone got any good suggestions?

It’s been an varied year so far but it feels like the milestone should be celebrated with something out of the ordinary ;-)