Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dman
I am asking this as a newly qualified NPPL M pilot who is waiting to do his RT course, so please be gentle
While flying around Teesside's airspace just before Christmas, I was tuned into their frequency and I heard a friend from a neighbouring farm of mine ask for basic service.
Now I didn`t know he would be flying, and he doesn`t even know that I have learned to fly, but we were both heading in the same direction.
Now was there any way I could have radioed him to let him know I was there?
Presume using Teesside`s frequency is not a done thing?
And there is some Microlight "situation awareness" frequencies. So you could announce to Teeside that you are leaving the frequency and changing to xxx.yyy and your friend could take the hint and join you there.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Or wait until on the ground.

If there's no operational or safety reason for even minimal contact on an ATC frequency - just "Hey, mate: I'm up here too" - then resist the urge. Strongly.
T6Harvard, Rob P liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
If the frequency is very quiet and ATC sound friendly (it does happen), you can try something like:

You: G-AB, request
Teeside: G-AB, pass your request
You: request pass a message to G-CD, G-AB
Teeside: G-CD, standby for a message from G-AB
G-CD: Standing by, G-CD
You: G-CD, this is G-AB. It's Fred. I'll be landing at Smithy farm in 20 minutes for a cup of tea if you want to join me?
G-CD: See you there, 2 sugars please. G-CD.
You: Teeside, thanks for your help. G-AB
Teeside: G-AB, report changing frequency for Smithy Farm.

I may or may not have had an exchange very similar to the above when I heard another Flyer Forumite on frequency in the middle of France a few years ago. As mentioned above, a text message is probably the better option!
Dman, Flyin'Dutch', Supercat liked this
By skydriller
Isnt that what "135.47/safetycom" is for... :wink:

For reference, take any late Saturday afternoon in France after a long lunch, and listen out on A/A 123.5 - Undoubtedly "Jean-Pierre" will be asking "Jean-Claude" what its like over the coast and how far away he is etc, etc, etc... All essential weather and position report updates... :wink:

And if you fly high enough there is always 123.45 :mrgreen:

Have Fun, SD.. :clown:
By Ibra
By no means if you need anything from ATC just ask, as long as the frequency is not busy...

A friend of mine asked ATC right before leaving their frequency, to tell us we are too slow when we pop-up on frequency, not sure how much Gallons Per Hour he lost in his stunt :lol:
RisePilot wrote:Eyes outside; safety first. That’s what bluetooth headsets are for - just call him

Big Dex wrote:I feel that you are best served by sending him a text message.

When did the law change to allow the use of mobile phones in flight?
By skydriller
JAFO wrote:
RisePilot wrote:Eyes outside; safety first. That’s what bluetooth headsets are for - just call him

Big Dex wrote:I feel that you are best served by sending him a text message.

When did the law change to allow the use of mobile phones in flight?

patowalker wrote:Is there a law that specifically prohibits the use of mobile phones in private aircraft?
CAP 1066 only refers to airliners.

Not been on a medium/long haul flight in the last 3 or 4 years then? If you are prepared to pay the charges, many airlines will let you use your mobile phone for texts and calls now - though on-board internet and the likes of Whatsapp have changed that model somewhat...

Regards, SD..