Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Bit of thread drift. I actually had a situation today where I could not remember the Safetycom frequency when I needed it. I was flying (rotary) past the local farm strip where I keep my f/w aircraft and decided to drop in. I had SD running on my phone so hit the radio tab, but discovered that although all the nearby airfield frequencies are listed there, Safetycom is not. So I had to go in non radio, which didn't actually matter as the place was deserted.

Question for SD experts - Is Safetycom mentioned anywhere in SD?
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
muffin wrote:Bit of thread drift. I actually had a situation today where I could not remember the Safetycom frequency when I needed it. I was flying (rotary) past the local farm strip where I keep my f/w aircraft and decided to drop in. I had SD running on my phone so hit the radio tab, but discovered that although all the nearby airfield frequencies are listed there, Safetycom is not. So I had to go in non radio, which didn't actually matter as the place was deserted.

It’s something I’ve moaned about before - and no it’s not - apparently you’re supposed to inherently know it and know that if the freq isn’t given it must be safetycom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By TopCat
lobstaboy wrote:Jeez...
I'm going to invent a new phrase, "Sky Demon problem."
It's the same as "First World problem."

There's only one way to respond to those, and they all start with... "When I first learned to fly we had to...."

I propose a Flyer Forum award for the most trenchant, yet creative, put-downs at the first sign of anyone that can't read a map for longer than a week after they pass their skills test....

"Ok boomer" (or worse, "Grandad") will not be an acceptable riposte :D :D
patowalker wrote:Can we change that to "anyone who can't read a map"? :D

here goes .. "When I first learned to fly we had to.... call it a chart" :wink:
lobstaboy, Rob P, patowalker and 2 others liked this
kanga wrote: "When I first learned to fly we had to call it a chart"

I believe that changed when, by common agreement of The Forum, we dropped the CAA printed charts in favour of the cheaper and less cluttered Little Chef map?

Rob P

Suddenly occurs to me that the current Little Chef map must be less cluttered than ever.
kanga liked this
By Rob P
In their prime, Little Chef had 439 restaurants. Each one has now closed.

I hadn't realised they had all gone. :shock:

Rob P
Rob P wrote:
In their prime, Little Chef had 439 restaurants. Each one has now closed.

I hadn't realised they had all gone. :shock:

Rob P

A colleague of mine once said he'd eaten four Little Chef "Early Starter" breakfasts in one day while driving between Edinburgh and Cambridge. I knew him well enough to believe him, and anyway I signed his expenses claim so I saw the receipts.
By patowalker
I wish I had kept one of the Michelin 1/200.000 maps used when my ULM was based near Chartres. We outlined CAS in black marker and never flew below 500' AGL Monday to Friday, as there be Mirages.
Never felt it was less safe than flying today with an aviation moving map, transponder and EC. :D
kanga liked this
By skydriller
patowalker wrote:I wish I had kept one of the Michelin 1/200.000 maps used when my ULM was based near Chartres. We outlined CAS in black marker and never flew below 500' AGL Monday to Friday, as there be Mirages.
Never felt it was less safe than flying today with an aviation moving map, transponder and EC. :D

If you take part in the French regional and national "pilotage de precision" competitions you will use only Michelin 1:200000 or 1:250000 maps. I dont seem to remember airspace being marked on them when I took part either... :shock:

Regards, SD..
Prior to retirement I was a professional seafarer (Master Mariner) hence my avatar.

I have studied aviation since 1995 and have always been amazed at how two such similar indutries operate totally differently regarding both navigation and radio. This is a great shame as each industry could learn so much from the other, I'm not saying either is "better", each have their strong points.

Anyway, I digress. Ships do talk to each other and their VHF band has a set channel for calling/distress and more channels solely for ship/ship communication. All marine VHF sets have a dual watch facility for monitoring the calling/distress frequency and one other channel of the operator's choice, typically a port operating channel. Whilst chit-chat is discouraged, especially if, for instance, a port channel should be being monitored, it can be useful to briefly able to talk to another ship.

Just my £0.01 worth, personally I've yet to need to talk to another aircraft.
By Flying_john
muffin wrote:Bit of thread drift. I actually had a situation today where I could not remember the Safetycom frequency when I needed it. I was flying (rotary) past the local farm strip where I keep my f/w aircraft and decided to drop in. I had SD running on my phone so hit the radio tab, but discovered that although all the nearby airfield frequencies are listed there, Safetycom is not. So I had to go in non radio, which didn't actually matter as the place was deserted.

I have the same trouble with listening squawks - can rarely find them on SD and have to scrabble around for paper chart or old card once given away with Flyer mag.