Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flying_john wrote:...listening squawks - can rarely find them on SD ....

When flying, from the 'Radio' tab, those near your route are shown in the frequency list (a salmon pink background) as freq and SSR code.

You can also get them from the PLOG in flight, which is accessed either by touching the black location band at the top of the screen (it also has a magnifying glass icon) or by touching the SkyDemon icon top left and selecting 'Pilot Log'.

terryws, kanga liked this
By Dave W
My only word on this: How did people hold their paper charts? Regardless of the starting position, ever reorient them - even for a minute?

But ultimately it comes down to what works for you in the moment. Ignore the joshing - there's no "right" or "wrong" way.
JAFO, AndyR, Iceman and 1 others liked this
I would say the difference is that if you rotate the chart yourself, in your hand, your brain can cope better with the change of orientation. If the software does it on its own uncommanded by you, you have to work out what is going on as you turn. If you are in a circuit or making numerous large turns, that is when track-up becomes confusing.
By skydriller
Dave W wrote:My only word on this: How did people hold their paper charts? Regardless of the starting position, ever reorient them - even for a minute?

I always have read maps north-up from as long as I can remember, its never been a problem for me to visualize where I am in the air or on the ground looking at a map. I know some people dont have that "3D picture" I have in my head. I can use track-up on a moving map, I have tried it, but I find myself "following the line" more than navigating properly.

Each to their own.

Regards, SD..
By T6Harvard
skydriller wrote:
Dave W wrote:My only word on this: How did people hold their paper charts? Regardless of the starting position, ever reorient them - even for a minute?

I always have read maps north-up from as long as I can remember, its never been a problem for me to visualize where I am in the air or on the ground looking at a map. I know some people dont have that "3D picture" I have in my head. I can use track-up on a moving map, I have tried it, but I find myself "following the line" more than navigating properly.

Each to their own.

Regards, SD..

Continued thread drift...

Oh wow, that's so interesting @skydriller . Putting it like that makes perfect sense to me. Yes, North up, as per geography lessons does indeed locate you in relation to the world around you. Years of practise, albeit on the ground, make it easy to know which way to go to get to point B. When you said that Track up made you follow the magenta line I really twigged what a difference the orientation made - I can see now why T.up is a potential problem for me.