Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By dangerous pete
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm not keen on using rechargeables in circuitry designed for dry cells. They are capable of delivering large currents under certain circumstances. If the electronics are not designed for them there is a (faint) possibility they could destroy the circuitry. In my Bose X I use pound shop PP3 alkaline's (badged as Kodak), and keep a spare in the headset bag. I change it every six months.
By dangerous pete
I'm not keen on using rechargeables in circuitry designed for dry cells. They are capable of delivering large currents under certain circumstances. If the electronics are not designed for them there is a (very faint) possibility they could destroy the circuitry. In my Bose X I use pound shop PP3 alkaline's (badged as Kodak), and keep a spare in the headset bag. I change it every six months. I have a minor gripe wth Bose, in the headset carrying bag of a headset that originally cost best part of £1000, there is nowhere to attach the spare battery. just a loop of elastic or something similar would do, how difficult and expensive would it be to do that during manufacture. Now I've written that down I think I have solved my own problem, ill go and see whats hanging on the washing line.
By Dave W
dangerous pete wrote:..., in the headset carrying bag of a headset that originally cost best part of £1000, there is nowhere to attach the spare battery. just a loop of elastic or something similar would do...

The A20 bag has those - somebody was listening to you all those years ago.

Thanks very much; they're very handy. ;)
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By PA28
I have flown all day today using the Smartoools lithium ion AAs. They work fine, don't generate unwanted RF interference but unfortunately are just slightly too long so fitting them in is a bit of a struggle so I wouldn't recommend them.
By Lefty
PA28 wrote:I have flown all day today using the Smartoools lithium ion AAs. They work fine, don't generate unwanted RF interference but unfortunately are just slightly too long so fitting them in is a bit of a struggle so I wouldn't recommend them.

Where are you that you got to fly all day ??
The south east hasn’t got above 300ft or 1000m all day.
By PA28
Midlands. Been a lovely day. Didn't think I would fly in the morning due to Probs and Tempos of low cloud and mist but it was fine (3000ft) with a little mist in the valleys. Really smooth.
By Rob P
Indeed, Dr Keeling seems to have had a wonderful land away from Halfpenny Green to Sleap and back today.

Rob P
By PA28
1.5V lithium ion rechargeable AAs are finally flat. They gave up with no notice (as others predicted) apart from the ANR turning itself off yesterday once and I immediately turned it back on. It was with the benefit of hindsight giving me notice. They lasted 30hrs of flying in a Bose A20 without bluetooth. I am impressed with them it is a shame that they are such a tight fit.
NDB_hold liked this
By cirrostratus
Now have been using the lithium rechargeables in Lightspeed Zulu 3s for over 30 hours flying.... I use bluetooth on one headset for SE2 audio warnings from Skydemon. Have got into the routine of recharging them after 10 hours use and happy to report no issues and am extremely pleased with them so far . One charge lasts longer than 10 hours , but no idea of by how much....also bought some AAA ones for use in petzl headtorches and they last quite a long time and I have stopped buying the duracells .
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
cirrostratus wrote:Have got into the routine of recharging them after 10 hours use and happy to report no issues

Indeed I have two sets, just in case the set in use expire mid-trip. But frankly I find it simpler just to recharge both sets every couple of months, swapping them over at the same time.

Rob P