Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:KNS80 RNAV facilities used to be good for finding hard to spot airfields in the middle of nowhere.

I got cocky on my original IMC rating test in the 90s, using a KNS80 offset Detling VOR/D for an intermediate waypoint, to get to Southend for an ILS. On arriving in the Southend area, I managed to select and identify the NDB ok, but the ILS just wouldn’t do anything sensible. “Why do you think that is ?”, the examiner asked. After a further minute or two of scratching my head, the examiner interjected with “Remember to turn the RNAV off, you cocky sh@t !”. Good point, you can’t RNAV an ILS :lol: !

Iceman 8)
By Colonel Panic
How on earth is it that if 5G is an issue for aviation it wasn't prevented from being rolled out in the first place? It is not as if the industry has already been through a similar learning process with GSM etc.
By kanga
Colonel Panic wrote:How on earth is it that if 5G is an issue for aviation it wasn't prevented from being rolled out in the first place? It is not as if the industry has already been through a similar learning process with GSM etc.

FCC not talking to FAA (or latter not on the ball), reminiscent of OfCom not talking to CAA over 'FM Immunity' ? :?

Did short range microwave radio altimetry for civilian aircraft become important only with autoland, ie is it all the fault of Smiths Industries pioneering work on the Trident ~60 years ago ? :?

[should we suspect rogue aviation industry vandals behind this fire ? :wink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-59740154 ]
By ChampChump
"The bosses of ten of America’s biggest airlines are warning that the United States “is facing major disruption of the traveling and shipping public” if 5G mobile phone services are switched on as planned on Wednesday. They have written a letter outlining urgent concerns which has been sent to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigeg and the head of the Federal Aviation Administration. We hear from our business correspondent Johnathan Josephs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live: ... ld_service

BBC World Service, 01:00 today.

J Josephs talked about altometers (sic) and it was painful to hear his explanation of why they are important. Worth thirty seconds just to hear reportage at its unbest.
By Josh
Having read the various notices and knowing how crucial RA input is for so many systems, I’m very glad I don’t go to the USA any more. The Airbus in particular transitions flight control laws on approach mainly based on RA inputs.

Suggested issues on some types are flight control law degradation and inability to deploy reverse thrust among others.
By AlanM
Flying into LHR on Saturday morning with the World’s Favourite Airline) in 350m RVR the Capt made an announcement that I had not heard before;

“All phones will need to be turned off and powered down. Not left in Flight Mode.”

This wasn’t reinforced by the cabin staff though.

On reaching the gate, Nigel then started to explain that we had made an autoland and the RadAlt (and other technical parts) needed protection from devices and Flight Mode was no longer sufficient.

I am not sure if this is a new policy when on CatIII approaches.
By kanga
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60036831

It was suggested on 'Today' this morning that issue was that US 5G providers plan to use much higher base station radiated power (because of their more sprawling urban landscape ?) than is typically used in Europe
By Josh
AlanM wrote:Flying into LHR on Saturday morning with the World’s Favourite Airline) in 350m RVR the Capt made an announcement that I had not heard before;

“All phones will need to be turned off and powered down. Not left in Flight Mode.”

On reaching the gate, Nigel then started to explain that we had made an autoland and the RadAlt (and other technical parts) needed protection from devices and Flight Mode was no longer sufficient.

This has been policy as long as I’ve been around. Easy to focus on the operational part and forget the PA though! Watching the aircraft land itself when you can barely see enough to taxi off the runway is quite a sobering experience.
AlanM liked this
By AlanM
Josh wrote:
AlanM wrote:Flying into LHR on Saturday morning with the World’s Favourite Airline) in 350m RVR the Capt made an announcement that I had not heard before;

This has been policy as long as I’ve been around. Easy to focus on the operational part and forget the PA though! Watching the aircraft land itself when you can barely see enough to taxi off the runway is quite a sobering experience.

Yes - I have done it once on the jumpseat in Geneva…. a Cat IIIB in Cavok conditions was probably more scary than in LVPs!!
By Sir Morley Steven
Where has everybody been? They are saying today that they will have to cancel flights as theres no data to prove interference either way.
Could they not have gathered this evidence months or even years ago?
AlanM, Colonel Panic liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
kanga wrote:It was suggested on 'Today' this morning that issue was that US 5G providers plan to use much higher base station radiated power (because of their more sprawling urban landscape ?) than is typically used in Europe

:shifty:

Not sure our equipment can be turned up to 11...
kanga, Kemble Pitts, AlanM liked this
By kanga
AlanM wrote:.. .. we had made an autoland and the RadAlt (and other technical parts) needed protection from devices ..

Ah, all the fault of Gloucestershire's Smiths Industries, who chose to put the RadAlt for the (world first) Cat IIIB Autoland in the Trident ~60 years ago in C Band, so high that no one else was then using it for anything else :wink: