Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote: Then I could tune the KNS80 to my current SD waypoint. Although SD didnt always select the most appropriate VOR if there was a choice of two. Thanks to VOR rationalisation (caused by lack of spare parts etc) the aircraft often cannot receive any VOR signals at typical GA low cruising altitudes.

KNS80 RNAV facilities used to be good for finding hard to spot airfields in the middle of nowhere.

We still use our Narco clone (NS800 8 point RNAV) which we kept on through a coupla Nav2 changes because of its inbuilt DME.

In fact to this day Narco position '8' is kept permanently tuned to the CLN VOR/DME to give the 'offset VOR' position of our strip.

(inter alia we were able to get it fixed to be FM immune- ISTR it was a relatively pricey fix).

It was very useful in dodgy VFR weather in the days before cheap portable GPS and, much later Skydemon.

Slight problem was that, at 38 NM distance it dropped out at about 800ft amsl: .............on two occasions I had to get Lakenheath radar to give me vectors............................ :roll:
By Paul_Sengupta
riverrock wrote:In USA they use slightly higher 5G frequencies

Ooo-errr.... :D

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/172648/revised-proposal-auction-design.pdf

These have been sold but I'm not sure what's been rolled out on the various networks yet. I know we've trialled it in the lab because I did it!

I suppose they go a little bit higher again in the US.
MikeB liked this
By riverrock
Sounds like fun @Paul_Sengupta - how did the auto-land go? Did you fit a radio alt to the bulldog and see if the lab was detected as levitating :clown: ?
kanga liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
Surely the microchips and nano bots implanted with the vaccines will protect us?
By Wide-Body
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Where has everybody been? They are saying today that they will have to cancel flights as theres no data to prove interference either way.
Could they not have gathered this evidence months or even years ago?

You are totally correct. I suspect a lot of politics being played by the FAA this week.
By chevvron
riverrock wrote:The EU / UK regulators are basically saying its fine here - no evidence of interference.

Getting interference on my DAB radio; started about a week ago and sounds like someone else transmitting simultaneously.
Any connection to 5G?
By Paul_Sengupta
chevvron wrote:Getting interference on my DAB radio; started about a week ago and sounds like someone else transmitting simultaneously.

Probably the high pressure we're having. It probably is someone transmitting simultaneously, another DAB transmitter some miles away!
By NickS
I have a problem with the MMI (satnav plus things like emergency call facility) in my Audi that is being blamed on 5G interference. The thing will reset randomly, often failing to accept that I am the user, rather than a guest, or give spurious warnings. It does tend to do it more when in London which is infuriating when I don’t know where I am going. They promise a software upgrade and a change of emergency call module.
The indicators may not be a problem as they are not meant to be used in Audis anyhow…
By Dave W
Mine does that too. (Except the indicator thing. Bizarre concept.)

I'd be very wary of attributing it to 5G interference since we get absolutely none of that around here in the sticks - unless delivered by extra-tight string between the tin cans.
By NickS
The indicators are fine I assume - a redundant feature on these anyhow!
Edited to say that the 5G being blamed is by Audi. The issue is noticeably worse in the city.