Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The only difference between the classic and the Rosetta systems is in the packaging AIUI unless the Pi in your classic system is an old version. I upgraded the base Raspberry Pi in my older classic to get the benefit of inbuilt wifi/bluetooth.
By leemoore1966
Smaragd wrote:Hi Lee,

I note:

leemoore1966 wrote: ....SkyGRID is a purely software enhancement, to Rosetta, ....

and
leemoore1966 wrote:.... is part of a further radical development which is also underway.
All existing Rosetta and classic systems will support this further development.......

You don't mention classic systems in the context of SkyGRID - are they also included?

"A further development" - your team just keeps on going! Many thanks.

Yes both are included in SkyGRID, as a Software upgrade
Thx
Lee
aligee, Smaragd liked this
By sky_high30
Looks interesting.

Having sold my DR400 Share I now have a redundant rosetta. In theory it can live in my glider - I already have two, independent moving map systems and am FLARM equipped (No Mode S due to panel space and cost constraints). It's of no practical benefit to me (I have FLARM traffic on both screens and don't want other traffic displayed). What benefit would other users derive? Who can see me based only on the presence of a PilotAware running quite happily behind my head?

Also what's the current draw? Assuming I install a 2A USB socket in the glider, do I assume that the additional current draw is 2A or whatever the Rosetta draws? 2A not ideal...
By Keith Vinning
sky_high30 wrote:Looks interesting.

Having sold my DR400 Share I now have a redundant rosetta. In theory it can live in my glider - I already have two, independent moving map systems and am FLARM equipped (No Mode S due to panel space and cost constraints). It's of no practical benefit to me (I have FLARM traffic on both screens and don't want other traffic displayed). What benefit would other users derive? Who can see me based only on the presence of a PilotAware running quite happily behind my head?

Also what's the current draw? Assuming I install a 2A USB socket in the glider, do I assume that the additional current draw is 2A or whatever the Rosetta draws? 2A not ideal...

If you don't want other traffic displayed then the Rosetta will be acting as a beacon for other PilotAware users to see you and prompt them to keep away. Also, you will then have Flarm in Flarm out, PilotAware in and PilotAware out. You will also have ADSB and CAP 1391 in if you did want to display them.

Additionally, with the latest software, your glider will be acting as a SkyGRID relay to provide greater safety for others. A worthy cause, flying as you do at the great heights that your "sky_high30" alias suggests.

The Rosetta will also be recording every flight you make and everyone that came close to you if they have EC, flarm or not, useful for Airprox. So you may want to check this to see if you want to change your mind on whether you want to detect other aircraft apart from Flarm.

The current draw is a max of 2A, the average is about 800mA-1A depending on traffic. An Anker power supply will last about 10 hours.
By Uptimist
I’ve done the upgrade and flew with it today, but as far as I understand you don’t “try” it, it’s just there now. So it’s hard for me to tell what I saw that I would not have seen if I didn’t have it!
Rob P, Peter Gristwood liked this
By russp
deltacharlie wrote:Has anyone had a chance to fly with the latest PilotAware upgrade and tried SkyGRID? Be good to hear of your experiences, either on here or direct to me: dave.calderwood@seager.aero
Done nearly 12 hrs in Jan with the new update. It certainly seems to be better and show more stuff consistently but it's purely a subjective analysis with no objective basis at all and given that there probably aren't that many skygrid equipped aircraft sharing the sky with me yet may just represent busier skies on lovely flying days!
By PA28
deltacharlie wrote:Has anyone had a chance to fly with the latest PilotAware upgrade and tried SkyGRID? Be good to hear of your experiences, either on here or direct to me: dave.calderwood@seager.aero

I updated mine a few days ago and tried it yesterday and today. Seems to see more aircraft but I have also put the internal aerials on instead of the standard ones. External aerials are definitely the best but I am always changing from one aeroplane to another so need a mobile solution.
I can't rate this product highly enough and for the money it is a no brainer.