Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:Thanks @AndyR . I'm trying to guess heights in pics because I've only seen 4,500'+ as SLF!

Ok all the time you’re over most of Englands terrain. There are parts of Europe where the mountains are rather taller. A lot of flying I’ve done in Norway for example has the mountain tops at 10,000’ so that becomes a little more difficult.

Also when you are flying above 8 octas of cloud cover you could of course be at almost any altitude. The cloud tops in the sunset/moonrise photo were 1500’ so I didn’t enter that until on final approach.
T6Harvard liked this
AndyR wrote:...San Sebastian ....

My second-favourite Spanish airfield (it was actually at Hondarribia, some distance from San Sebastian, back in my day. We stayed at the local hotel). But hired a car to San Sebastian, a most beautiful city :thumright: .

On one occasion I got a right rollocking from Biarritz for not filing a flight plan between San Sebastian & French airspace (a few minutes apart), but I was forgiven because I spoke French (and aviation French).

My most favourite Spanish airfield was Castellón de la Plana on the Med.

Both visited in my humble Taylorcraft several times.

:D
Last edited by Rob L on Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard, mick w, AndyR liked this
Rob L wrote:
AndyR wrote:...San Sebastian ....

My second-favourite Spanish airfield (it was actually at Hondarribia, some distance from San Sebastian, ..). ..

On one occasion I got a right rollocking from Biarritz for not filing a flight plan between San Sebastian & French airspace (a few minutes apart), but I was forgiven because I spoke French (and aviation French).

Hondarribia, the correct ie Basque name :thumright: (Spanish: Fuenterrabía) .. some distance from Donostia, as you say.

Basque also spoken in Miarritze, of course, but I dare say not much by French ATCOs, I guess :wink:
Rob L liked this
Trent772 wrote:Very similar.... :thumleft:

On that note here's one from Sunday's flight similar to the other pic @VRB_20kt posted. I don't particularly like the image in to the sun, it's the defined narrow line of the inversion layer that intrigues me. Similarly in the glens separated by mountains and many miles, having the same level of tops. I guess the answer is in the tolerance of temps in which it can form, rather than there being a precise uniform temp over huge areas, both vertically and horizontally?

T6Harvard liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
russp wrote:
Iceman wrote:Is Sandown open again ? They were waterlogged on Sunday and couldn’t accept us.

Iceman 8)

Is the Astroturf runway not solving that issue ?

Only the Astroturf is open. So the issue is solved for aircraft / pilot combinations that are happy with 430m.