Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This afternoon I went to tuck up G-BUTH at Dunkeswell, but, to my surprise, the sky cleared and so I went for a flight.

Then I found there was a 3nm hole in the fog centred on Dunkeswell - half of Upottery's runways weren't visible, so discretion kept me local. The fog rolled back in shortly after landing, so a good call.

I also became reacquainted with the 0-200's performance in piston icing conditions.

A short but educational trip
Last edited by Peter Gristwood on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Iceman, Charles Hunt, rohmer liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:Oh, at a guess I'd say about 97.346% of Highlanders were also fogbound. How would they know only a few hundred feet above them it was gin clear? :wink:

Not fogbound here but grey, unappealing and, to use a good Scots word, dreich!
Nice pics, misc. :thumright:
By foxmoth
Miscellaneous wrote:
Iceman wrote:Grounded due to fog the whole weekend down here.

Oh, at a guess I'd say about 97.346% of Highlanders were also fogbound. How would they know only a few hundred feet above them it was gin clear? :wink:

Pretty sure it was gin clear a few hundred of feet above me and I would have had no problem getting there - getting back down might have been a little more problematic!
By Iceman
Miscellaneous wrote:Oh, at a guess I'd say about 97.346% of Highlanders were also fogbound. How would they know only a few hundred feet above them it was gin clear? :wink:

I think you could be right. This was a flight yesterday, Glasgow to Toronto, shortly after takeoff.

Iceman 8)
Rob L, T6Harvard, Miscellaneous and 1 others liked this
Hi Misc / All,

I didn’t manage out yesterday (Sunday) due to a family commitment, but had a great flight out of East Fortune on Saturday - after the initial fog lifted.

I took off at 11:00 from a very cold airfield (just above Zero on the ground) into an inversion (+13 C or more at 2000 ft) and possibly even more as I climbed and flew south (with only one of my gloves on so I could tweak settings on my iPad) up to around 3,500 ft over the Lammermuirs into the borders in glorious cloud free sunshine.

After an hour at Lempitlaw helping update some assorted avionics, I was about to head off again when I got a phone call to say E.F. was fogged in again. With an almost full fuel tank, so maximum potential flying time and plenty of landing options available to the south, ) decided to head back north to check out the extent of the fog. Climbing to over 6000 ft to maximise my view ahead as I re-crossed the Lammermoors in clear blue skies (again with no need for gloves in lovely warm air) I could see East Fortune’s main 29 runway (the bit we can’t use) clearly in sunshine from about 10 miles out, though with everything from about 1/4 mile around it to the west, north and east completely covered in a bank of fog and low cloud, except for the top couple of hundred feet of North Berwick Law, which was clearly visible above the cloud layer (sorry no pics). I decided to pull on maximum speed to try to beat the rapidly encroaching fog and cloud bank (though still with the option to divert elsewhere) and (surprisingly) landed between two outbound flexwings - both of which promptly landed again - with the second of them landing back just a couple of minutes after me into a rapidly building but still very low fog layer - which forced airfield closure for the rest of the day. A very memorable flight nonetheless! :D

Best Regards
Peter
By AndyR
I spent most of my Sunday and over 800NM enjoying the views and wondering where I was going to end up diverting to once getting back to the UK due the fog. Some great views as the sun set off one wing and the moon rose off the other though.

Tried to share the photos but they’re way too large apparently to be accepted on here. 3000 pixel width restriction, whatever that is about.
Miscellaneous liked this