Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It appears EE have done an advert where they 'land' an aircraft at Cambridge over their broadband:

The phraseology in it is interesting "runway 23 available for landing" - I'm guessing therefore that this was just an additional communications channel to the aircraft, and the actual landing clearance was given by the Cambridge based ATC as normal, but would be interesting to hear any more details as to what exactly was done here...
StratoTramp liked this
By Rob P
From the trade rag

EE has unveiled a campaign showing a plane being landed using its Full Fibre Max broadband from a family home.

A 60-second ad by Saatchi & Saatchi London shows the real-life Saley family all on their connected devices, while their dining room, via the same broadband, is turned into a remote air traffic control system. Using real-time data, a pilot is guided to make a smooth landing at Cambridge airport as the family of five watches on in amazement. EE brand ambassador Kevin Bacon also features in the spot.

The film, which launches today (10 December) during Coronation Street at 7.45pm, aims to demonstrate the power and reliability of the network. It was created by Alex Lucas and Jon Farley, and directed by Bafta award-winning producer Tom Hooper through Smuggler. Media is handled by Essence.

The campaign also comprises out-of-home and targeted digital advertising.

Pete Jeavons, marketing communications director at BT and EE, said: “In today’s connected family home, we know how many devices can be online at one time and this is increasing all the time, so this demonstration was about showing that despite how many devices are already relying on EE Full Fibre, the broadband can still cope with so much more.”

Guillermo Vega, chief creative officer at Saatchi & Saatchi, added: "EE's new Full Fibre broadband can handle anything you throw at it, so we put it to the test with a product demo on an epic scale.”

As well as crediting Hooper, Vega paid tribute to the air traffic controllers and “our incredible technical production partner The 5Gs” for making the “seemingly impossible, possible”.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
alexbrett2 wrote:The phraseology in it is interesting "runway 23 available for landing" - I'm guessing therefore that this was just an additional communications channel to the aircraft, and the actual landing clearance was given by the Cambridge based ATC as normal, but would be interesting to hear any more details as to what exactly was done here...

I'm guessing this was AGRO or FISO, not ATCO

The kit seems a bit of overkill for an AGRO :twisted:
By JAFO
"I can't believe we just landed a plane."

Well, you didn't, did you? You had a picture of the airport on a big telly, you told the pilot that the runway was clear and they landed the aeroplane. And that was edited bits which probably missed out loads of other stuff that you weren't even involved with.

I don't get why anybody might think this was in any way amazing.

Apart from me talking to the pilot, it's not much different to this:

https://cam.airlive.net/lax/
By StratoTramp
I don't think it is amazing (for any of us). Similar to when you watch an action film but have working knowledge of the tech they are using within in it - and you think... that's not how it bleedin' works! :lol: I guess maybe for you, if you see a documentary on the RAF or Police helicopters and they are being a bit economical / expedient with the truth and facts of it all for TV.

The main thing for me (and what perhaps is amazing) is they are showing aviation in a positive light (even if dumbed down). Rather than calling us all Climate change denying fossil fuel fascist who deserve to be stoned - we should know when to take a win :lol:

I'm glad they 'landed' the... aeroplane - just for you JAFO
JAFO, Dave W, kanga and 2 others liked this
I was flying the day they filmed it.
They published what their filming schedule was, 2 aircraft, a bunch of go arounds etc etc etc.

Saw them pootling down long final as I flew past.

Then I was putting the cover on and one of them flew back through the overhead, not used to seeing big aircraft low / close up, so quite enjoyed that.
StratoTramp liked this
I did wonder if that family in that semi- had some kind of big pointy laser PAR stick or something which they poked out of the lounge window and waved randomly about in order to delude themselves that they had just landed the 'plane, but then, ha, I twigged that it was actually the aircrew who actually landed the 'plane...

Thank goodness it is only a 'commercial'...
Anyway, enough cynicism...now there is this...

99% of people have no idea that, without air traffic “control”, the aircraft would have landed just the same, just as safely. Even our airport management are under the impression that aircraft fly because somebody in the tower gives them permission!
ChampChump, GMSMossie, T67M liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:99% of people have no idea that, without air traffic “control”, the aircraft would have landed just the same, just as safely. Even our airport management are under the impression that aircraft fly because somebody in the tower gives them permission!

For the last 22 years I have had airliners (includes 707, 727, 737, 757, 767, A300, A320, DC8 etc) arrive and depart under A/G alone, and I don't remember 'landing' any of them, even with WiFi or a pointy stick. (And they'd been doing it quite successfully for three decades before that...) I just read out a few numbers (which they probably could have worked out themselves anyway) and they simply just got on with it. "No drama, McGuigan"...except when they occasionally tried to land at the aerodrome next door. In fact, one or two even came in and out with nobody on the wireless at all. Bit of a surprise, but there you go... Most of the work was on the telephone responding to the "when's it coming/when's it going/has it gone yet" calls...

So, no, wireless and WiFi not strictly necessary to 'land a plane', just a pilot or two, usually...
A le Ron, Trent772, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By chevvron
alexbrett2 wrote:The phraseology in it is interesting "runway 23 available for landing" - I'm guessing therefore that this was just an additional communications channel to the aircraft, and the actual landing clearance was given by the Cambridge based ATC as normal, but would be interesting to hear any more details as to what exactly was done here...

Irrespective of that the person who spoke to the aircraft should have been as a minimum a cerificated ROCC holder otherwise they broke the law by transmitting landing details; even if they were a C of C holder for either AFIS or ATC, they should still have had an ROCC signed by the radio station licence holder
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
By GrahamB
chevvron wrote:Irrespective the person who spoke to the aircraft should have been a cerificated ROCC holder otherwise they broke the law by transmitting landing details.

Only if what they said was actually heard outside of the living room.