Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulSS
Changing a word in an acronym that nobody ever deciphers harms nobody and may help some.

If nobody ever deciphers it, how may it help some?

I cannot think of a single lady pilot that I've flown with (numbering far > 100) who would give a damn about any of this 'right on' nonsense.

I do feel on the occasions that I've been the only male crew member on a 737, 747, 757 & 767 that I should have had a random, unknown, female getting offended on my behalf and creating a problem where there wasn't one.
It’s been ‘Notice to Aviation’ in the UK for a few months now.

CAP1430 refers.

Don’t think the sky has fallen in yet.

This change is for the USA.

Either way, no hardship (as proved by the deafening silence after the change in the UK) and it may make aviation slightly more inclusive than it was.

Win-win.
kanga liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well, at least the US version keeps it as NOTAM, as opposed to NOTA... :roll:

Most people know what a Notam is, they dont care what NOTAM stands for, just like so many other common use words today... so pretty pointless for all concerned really, eh?
JAFO, Rob P, Miscellaneous liked this
By GonzoEGLL
The UK is keeping the word NOTAM.

There are plenty of words/acronyms/abbreviations in use both in aviation and the wider world that have extra or missing letters.

You said ‘most’ don’t care….. it’s therefore great that it was changed so that those that do care about it might feel a little more welcomed into aviation. I’d say that’s definitely a good thing. :thumleft:
kanga, G-BLEW liked this