Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Sigh :roll:

Is this going to become general? It solves the RAF problem, they can rename airmen and airwomen to Airmissionaries.

Rob P
VRB_20kt, Kittyhawk, TonyC liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Sigh :roll:

Is this going to become general? It solves the RAF problem, they can rename airmen and airwomen to Airmissionaries.

Rob P

Does that mean I’m in a missionary position when flying?
Rob P liked this
By Smaragd
I looked up the ICAO definition of the abbreviation NOTAM last week while preparing the Strut Xmas Quiz; it is NOTAM - A notice distributed by means of telecommunication containing information concerning the establishment, condition or change in any aeronautical facility, service, procedure or hazard, the timely knowledge of which is essential to personnel concerned with flight operations. No mention of Airmen, Airwomen, Aviators, Air Missions. No need to change anything!
Flyin'Dutch', LewisC, JAFO and 3 others liked this
By johnm
"Soldiers, sailors and aviators" makes perfect sense to me as all three are gender neutral and all three encompass personnel who are not front line operatives.

However trying to remove the three letter combinations "men" or "man" from every occurrence in the English language is just political correctness and slightly bonkers. Most intelligent, confident women (such as MrsJohnm) take a similar view I believe, though I am open to correction by those better informed.
XX liked this
By johnm
Rob P wrote:"Perfect" sense?

Really? :snooty:

Rob P

Yes really, because language isn't static unless it's dead like ancient Greek and Latin 8)
By kanga
johnm wrote:.. language isn't static unless it's dead like ancient Greek and Latin 8)

.. and the Vatican tries to ensure that Latin evolves to meet modern needs :)

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexicon_R ... atinitatis

Translations into modern Latin from various other languages:

https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/inst ... on_it.html :thumright: ]
johnm liked this
And my former regular haunt has changed it's name as well.......

Renaming Las Vegas to Harry Reid International Airport

From as early as 2012 there have been calls by elected officials to rename McCarran International Airport, due to the past actions and comments of the late Nevada senator that have been viewed as anti-semitic and racist. U.S. Senator Harry Reid of Nevada told the press in 2012 while he was Majority Leader that McCarran "...was one of the most anti-Semitic... one of the most anti-black, one of the most prejudiced people who has ever served in the Senate," adding it was his opinion that McCarran's name should not be on anything.
kanga liked this
By riverrock
I never understood the desire to name things after famous people unconnected with that thing.
Other than perhaps naming the road that the South African consulate was on in Glasgow to Nelson Mandela Place during apartheid :thumleft:

Clearly, internationally, NOTAM is no longer an acronym. So why do people (woke committees..) feel the need to play with things like this.
By PaulSS
So why do people (woke committees..) feel the need to play with things like this.

Saddos, with nothing better to do with their pathetic lives than cause pointless trouble for normal people, by finding stupid solutions to problems that don't exist for the vast majority.
By Josh
Of course if you’re in the majority it doesn’t bother you.

Changing a word in an acronym that nobody ever deciphers harms nobody and may help some. As an industry and hobby that leans towards towards men in a hugely disproportionate fashion anything so cost free that helps us redress that is surely good thing?
By patowalker
Mission: mid 16th century (denoting the sending of the Holy Spirit into the world): from Latin missio(n- ), from mittere ‘send’.

I reckon the new definition should be rejected. It is discriminatory. :)