Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
We can do some of the work ourselves and our maintenance engineer can sign it off if satisfied. Many owners do their own oil changes and light maintenance. The CAA surveyor inspects annually. Most often it is a pure paperwork exercise, ensuring ADs and SBs have not been missed and so on. There is no path at the moment to LAA. A more likely path is to the abandonment of the annual survey in person. It's not always enforced (seemingly arbitrarily) and it doesn't seem to accomplish much, while taking time. For example, ours was supposed to happen last week and the appointment postponed twice by CAA already.
The only onerous part is to remember to book the surveyor in good time. It's largely a paperwork exercise and the CAA did manage to do it remotely during the first year of the pandemic.

Apart from that the regime is reasonably straightforward.

The new bad thing is foreign travel will be harder down to the B word - EASA no longer recognize the Form 18B as giving Europe wide permission despite the fact it is for the airframe rather than the registration - national permission required like LAA aircraft but without the benefit of LAA negotiated exemptions.
Thanks, that's enlightening. Probably a moot point for the aircraft we are looking at, but I am trying to fill in all the gaps in my knowledge - the various overlapping sets of rules for aircraft are extremely confusing, with no _comprehensive_ guide to what is what. Doubly so post-Brexit.

(for the record, the LAA have been very helpful with my email enquiries about LAA-specific stuff)